Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with Viking Bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 PM
phxsunbum
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trouble with Viking Bags

I recently purchased the new Viking Lamellar Leather Covered Shock Cutout Hard bags along with their quick disconnect system for installation on my 2011 Fat Bob.

I installed the quick disconnect system studs on the fender struts, however when I line up the bags I have this problem: If I place the bags forward to cover the shock as they were intended to do, about 3 inches of the quick disconnect bracked shows at the end of the bag. If I move the bag back to cover the entire bracket, the shock is exposed and the mounting hole would be in the shock cut-out. The distance between the bolts on the fender support is 10 3/8".

I've contacted Viking three times and each time I've been promised a call back or email, but after two weeks I've got nothing. And now it's well past their 30 day return time frame. Funny how that worked out huh?

I'm truly disappointed in Viking as I thought they offered a decent product at a good price. Unfortunately customer service is non-existent.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I've read about it lately. I dealt with Bobby and he always took care of me, but he doesn't work there anymore. Try writing them here on the forum. I've seen daily responses on here in the past.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

On the website the top of the shocks are exposed when the bags are mounted. Maybe the bags need to be mounted higher to hit the mounting zone. The description says the mounting zone is 11". I just mounted the Armor Shock cuts on my Dyna and had no problems other than the mounting hardware supplied was metric and 1/2" too short. Pictures of what your bags look like where you have them mounted would help receive more possible solutions to your problem.

http://www.vikingbags.com/viking-lam...11000-prd1.htm

Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

You aren't going to cover the whole shock either. If you get to close when you hit a bump and the shock compresses the bottom of the shock will hit the bag. Here's where I located my bags. I didn't read the instruction though. I just put where I thought it looked good. I don't think the shock cut out is to fully cover the shock, but to make it so the bags aren't sticking out past the rear of the fender.

Name:  57FAFF1E-D618-4A23-AB9F-C069F22905BB-3743-000003C53BF40074.jpg
Views: 7738
Size:  198.4 KB
Name:  4CD5E8F9-8B73-4CEC-9CCC-A77A243E038D-3743-000003C54F8E1113.jpg
Views: 4330
Size:  294.5 KB
Name:  18B53E37-41FB-44A2-BF50-610B25DFC3E7-3743-000003C559249259.jpg
Views: 6238
Size:  377.1 KB
Name:  DC355CD4-2CCC-45A7-A358-0019FFD7B733-7059-0000092FDF558603_zpse8aa8499.jpg
Views: 3410
Size:  58.9 KB

The following users liked this post:
MsAngel (03-07-2017)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM
AwesomeIndeed
Cruiser

I had nothing but problems with Viking Bags (3 different sets). Bit the bullet and went with Leather Pro bags. Well worth it.

The Vikings never wanted to fit "properly" and there was always some sort of rubbing somewhere or the way I had to mount them made them look stupid on my FXDF. Still have all 3 sets sitting on the floor in my garage. Others have had great luck, but I never did.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AwesomeIndeed
I had nothing but problems with Viking Bags (3 different sets). Bit the bullet and went with Leather Pro bags. Well worth it.

The Vikings never wanted to fit "properly" and there was always some sort of rubbing somewhere or the way I had to mount them made them look stupid on my FXDF. Still have all 3 sets sitting on the floor in my garage. Others have had great luck, but I never did.
Sorry to hear about how your bags never fit right. We're still a growing company with room to grow so we're always adding and looking for ways to improve our products. If you have any suggestions regarding design flaws or anything like that, feel free to share or PM me

I PM'd the thread starter and hope we can get this resolved quickly..
I don't think that the quick release set up was designed to be used with the newer smaller hard bags, which is whats causing the problem.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Trevor Seidler
Stage I
Default Trying to find replacement parts

I've got the lamellar slanted leather wrapped hard bag. The locks on this style that closes the lid (back to front hinge) apparently they do not make this style anymore and don't have the parts for them either. Spent way to much money on a shitty design for a lock and have no way of keeping it closed now. Does anyone know of a place or a site that has replacement parts I can't find anything and would appreciate any help! Thank you

Old 03-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking Bags
Sorry to hear about how your bags never fit right. We're still a growing company with room to grow so we're always adding and looking for ways to improve our products. If you have any suggestions regarding design flaws or anything like that, feel free to share or PM me.
please forgive my brutal honest here as my intentions are simply to word this the way I (and many others) seem to see it....this is the excuse they use every time there is a negative thread about their product. You are making excuses rather than solutions. Spend some time conducting R&D, and build a product specific to each bike (like the rest of the companies do) and stop producing a product that's one size fits all, customer tries to mount it, hope you get it right, but it's your fault if you get it wrong. We should never have to drill holes in our bags to fit them. We shouldn't have to go to a hardware store in search of the correct fasteners. When we have problems/questions, we EXPECT customer service in a timely fashion, not unfulfilled promises of a returned phone call. When our bags need to be warrantied, we shouldn't have to wait days at a time in between responses only to find that we have to ship the bags back for inspection, and HOPE they will be warrantied. Overall, I like the bags, but the company that sells them needs to start listening to its customers, and showing us just how valued we really are.

"Brutal honesty is the best policy"-nick d.

Kymery (06-05-2022)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

I have a set of viking bag's that are supposed to fit my 01 low rider. I was going to do the quick release set up as well, but after looking more into the fitment on my bike I noticed that it wasn't going to work. So I must do the permanent mount. So I'm not to happy to drill an extra hole in my finder.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:43 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,068 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Originally Posted by REW13
I have a set of viking bag's that are supposed to fit my 01 low rider. I was going to do the quick release set up as well, but after looking more into the fitment on my bike I noticed that it wasn't going to work. So I must do the permanent mount. So I'm not to happy to drill an extra hole in my finder.
you might want to check out great bike gear easy brackets.

REW13 (03-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Trouble with Viking Bags