Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive terminal melted...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:51 PM
HoolyNI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive terminal melted...

Hello all,

Bike wouldnt start on tuesday morning, had been a little sluggish to start on monday, so just thought my battery had finally given up the ghost [its the 8 year old original]....however when I pulled it out last night I discovered that the positive terminal has actually melted a good 8mm back from the face of the battery.

What is the most likely cause of this? Had the rotor/stator replaced in october, is it possible battery was put back in with a loose connection, could that cause enough heat to melt the terminal?

My concern is putting a new battery in only for the same thing to happen again, cant see any damage to the leads and will start again since i cleaned it up a bit and tightened the connections back up, even with the 8mm missing off the + terminal.

Also can anyone recommend any alternative battery for an 06 fxdci? As local dealer looking £153 to replace like with like...

Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw this on my brothers bike last year. 2000 FXDL. The only thing I could figure was a loose terminal causing it to arc and melt the post. The seat had burn marks on the bottom and the seat pan was fiberglass is it did not cause the issue. He got a new battery and made sure the cables were properly tightened and no problems at all.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A loose cable can certainly cause the overheating. I've seen industrial wiring melt when connections weren't tight enough.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

yes they can melt the post is only made of lead, so don't over-tighten the new one.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
I saw this on my brothers bike last year. 2000 FXDL. The only thing I could figure was a loose terminal causing it to arc and melt the post. The seat had burn marks on the bottom and the seat pan was fiberglass is it did not cause the issue. He got a new battery and made sure the cables were properly tightened and no problems at all.
I agree. Especially when your going down the road, it will be vibrating/arcing big time.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Loose connections can/will cause serious problems. Be sure all your connections are clean and tight.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:13 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HoolyNI
Hello all,

Bike wouldnt start on tuesday morning, had been a little sluggish to start on monday, so just thought my battery had finally given up the ghost [its the 8 year old original]....however when I pulled it out last night I discovered that the positive terminal has actually melted a good 8mm back from the face of the battery.

What is the most likely cause of this? Had the rotor/stator replaced in october, is it possible battery was put back in with a loose connection, could that cause enough heat to melt the terminal?

My concern is putting a new battery in only for the same thing to happen again, cant see any damage to the leads and will start again since i cleaned it up a bit and tightened the connections back up, even with the 8mm missing off the + terminal.

Also can anyone recommend any alternative battery for an 06 fxdci? As local dealer looking £153 to replace like with like...
Definitely a loose connection. Either at the connection or internal to the battery. Loose/high resistance connections create a voltage drop and generate heat. Verify the battery cable is OK...if in doubt, replace it. They sometimes break inside the insulation so not always visible.

Not sure if your battery is AGM or not, but consider an AGM battery as a replacement (sealed, no vent tube). HD batteries are made by Deca. In the US they are sold under various names in auto parts stores at about 1/2 the HD price. Not sure where you might find them locally, but try searching. Failing that, any good AGM battery should work (Yuasa, Interstate, Lucas??). Not sure what's available to you in Ireland.