Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Super Glide Custon & Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Super8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Crex39
Rake is the angle the front wheel protrudes from the front. Trail is little more complex to explain, but it is basically the angle from the axle to the ground across from where the rake hits the axle. The more severe the rake, especially without trail makes the bike harder to control. In my opinion less rake = easier steering, more rake = looks cooler. I was under the impression the S.G. is more of a performance bike than the Lowrider, but in the right hands the difference is miniscule.
Now that right there is helpful, thank you immensely. Front end geometry is something I love, but all my experience is with oval track race cars. Another question, is trail just a measurement or does it give a specific result in regards to handling? Like feel, turn in or straight line stability... Personally, whether car or bike, I think a front end with, "feel" inspires more confidence.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 AM
b2inUT
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't know what "feel" means in the other reviews you read, the the rake/trail will affect handling and I think a ride on each is needed to find your "feel"...

More rake in the front end will take more effort to turn and have a bigger turning radius. That could translate to more stability at speed but difficult to maneuver in tighter situations--such as a parking lot. Conversely, less rake may make the bike "twitchy" feeling as less effort is needed to turn. This could make the bike feel less stable at speed and easier to maneuver in tight spots.

Between the two bikes, I like the FXDC over the FXDL but because of how easily I get pain in my hips, the further-forward mid controls that the DL comes with would likely be on my list of changes (looking to got from the forwards to those on my FXDB).

The difference in rake/trail of the two may be minuscule, and a ride will help figure that out. And depending on riding style, the lean angle may be a big issue for you. Suspension and exhaust upgrades will impact that, too, on any bike.

FWIW, my rake/trail handling experience come from BMX racing. I've ridden bike frames that felt like they wanted to throw me off in a turn and some that felt like it took days to make a turn.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I have had a '14 FXDL for a couple weeks now. This bike is very comfortable and easy to adjust to fit with the adjustable risers and "booster seat". I am 5'8" and do not use the seat pad. I wanted a bit more bend in my elbows so in 2 minutes I loosened up the risers and bars, rotated risers back a few degrees, put bars back where they were, tightened things up.....BAM....done and super comfortable.

I love 2-1 pipes. I did swap out the OEM muffler with the SE Nightstick for a but more rumble. Once it breaks in it will be just what I am wanting sound wise.

Brakes are more then adequate for the bike. Even has steel braided lines. The mid controls (another must for me) moved a couple inches forward from normal still give you great control but a bit more room.

Now get this......the suspension actually WORKS on the bike as delivered from the factory. Small stuff you barely feel and bigger hits are absorbed and don't unsettle the bike. Wind flow is very well managed, too.

I am coming from owning XL's and one XR in the past and this is by far the most comfortable so far but still being nimble enough to change direction quickly and confidently. I enjoy the longer wheelbase and the fact that I sit "in" the bike instead of "on top" of the bike as you do on XL's. Lean angle is good as well with the mid controls.

I also swapped out the grips. For some reason the OEM units are a bit small in diameter compared to other H-D's.

Hope that helps. Any questions please ask.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:50 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

This has been a great thread to learn a few things from. It's raining today so I spent some time reading up on how to measure trail and what it does. The more I learn about this stuff the more I want to leave things the way it came from the factory. I'm not an engineer so I'm not going to start second guessing their work.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PoCoBob
This has been a great thread to learn a few things from. It's raining today so I spent some time reading up on how to measure trail and what it does. The more I learn about this stuff the more I want to leave things the way it came from the factory. I'm not an engineer so I'm not going to start second guessing their work.
Wisdom...

Old 04-19-2014, 08:16 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Rake is the angle the front wheel protrudes from the front. Trail is little more complex to explain, but it is basically the angle from the axle to the ground across from where the rake hits the axle. The more severe the rake, especially without trail makes the bike harder to control. In my opinion less rake = easier steering, more rake = looks cooler. I was under the impression the S.G. is more of a performance bike than the Lowrider, but in the right hands the difference is miniscule.
Great stuff, but I think your picture shows clamps that allow the rake to be increased without increasing the trail. It's my understanding these are used because increasing the the trail is what increases the steering effort and fork flop at low speeds. By using those braces, one can get the "cool" raked out look while still maintaining good steering manners.

I too am interested in the LR. I just wish they'd make it without the lowered shocks and scooped seat. Even if the shocks work well, their tiny travel is going to be more susceptible to bottoming out and they kill what little ground clearance cruisers have to begin with. And I don't find riding around with my knees above my pelvis the least bit "cool" or comfortable.

Aside from that, I really dig that 70's bike. Proper sized mag wheels running tubeless tires, sporty rake/trail, dual front discs, a sporty/adjustable handlebar, mid mount pegs to allow a little more leg room all on a sexy, minimalist, retro bike. Yum!

Old 04-20-2014, 02:16 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by saddlebag
Great stuff, but I think your picture shows clamps that allow the rake to be increased without increasing the trail. It's my understanding these are used because increasing the the trail is what increases the steering effort and fork flop at low speeds. By using those braces, one can get the "cool" raked out look while still maintaining good steering manners.

I too am interested in the LR. I just wish they'd make it without the lowered shocks and scooped seat. Even if the shocks work well, their tiny travel is going to be more susceptible to bottoming out and they kill what little ground clearance cruisers have to begin with. And I don't find riding around with my knees above my pelvis the least bit "cool" or comfortable.

Aside from that, I really dig that 70's bike. Proper sized mag wheels running tubeless tires, sporty rake/trail, dual front discs, a sporty/adjustable handlebar, mid mount pegs to allow a little more leg room all on a sexy, minimalist, retro bike. Yum!
My understanding is you can increase rake safely, as long as you design the angle with a proper set up to minimize impact on trail. The biggest offenders are the ones who throw the raked triple trees on there without properly setting their trail. Here is a calculator to help design your front end. I hope this isn't hijacking the thread.

Last edited by Crex39; 04-20-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-20-2014, 06:20 AM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

My understanding is you can increase rake safely, as long as you design the angle with a proper set up to minimize impact on trail. The biggest offenders are the ones who throw the raked triple trees on there without properly setting their trail. Here is a calculator to help design your front end. I hope this isn't hijacking the thread.
Since the rake and trail numbers have increased a hair on the new LR, and since people have raised questions as to what that means, I think you're still solidly on topic.

That website said pretty much what I was trying to describe, except I was not aware that creating negative trail with those clamps could induce a high speed wobble. I guess I wouldn't expect people that ride that kinda thing to be pressing them that hard, but anyway, more great info. Thanks for allowing me to check off my "learned something new" today box.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:16 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

l think you would be happy with either. l have a Low rider on order, l'm hoping it's going to be pretty much like my 07 FXD was to ride...

Old 04-20-2014, 08:03 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i have an 06 sg that i bought new
i went to the dealer the other day and sat on the new low rider and it is pretty sweet bike. the mids are well placed in my opion and i like the bars and risers, definatly like the dual disks and over all stly of the bike

the grips a rediculusly skinny, it has been a long time since i have had stock grips but they seem super small

i like the seat alot, i would never use the booster thing, but i like the look of the seat so much a asked the parts guy if it was in his catolog yet and if it would fit my 06 superglide

i didnt test ride one but a really liked the bike

Quick Reply: Difference between Super Glide Custon & Low Rider