Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easter Weekend - Ruined

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:40 AM
DoomGloom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ex race fabricator and tech with no torque wrench, torx bits or 5 mins of time to torque down 4 bolts to spec? You allowed this to "ruin your Easter ride" ? Sympathy is gonna be hard to come by around these parts with replies like that.......you will learn to NEVER to let HD techs touch your bike unless there is no other alternative.....

Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Annnnnnnd we're off!!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,204 Likes on 8,360 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
I had my lower pinch bolts back out on both sides. We were going 70mph though some switch backs and I happened to look down and saw the Allen head out past the tree. Kind of scary going through twisties that fast and seeing it. I know I torqued them all cause I did it like four times. Luckily neither side was sliding up. Pulled over took out my tool roll, tightened them and carried on.

Nice to hear of good dealers out there. I agree on using that warranty you have.
Blue locktite?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Blue locktite?
Now yes!! It wasn't on there before so I figured it was good, but guess not.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the dealer already picked it up he shuld be able to do a front end check with fork level and steering head adjustment. Then they will swivel the handlebars back and forth a bit and if it's not hanging up he'll give it back this should all take about a half hour. If he hasn't picked it up you only need one torx bit to do the leveling. New or not I wouldn't let change my plans.
I have pointed out numerous mistakes to sales people on bikes that are on the showroom floor. Acouple of loose bolts is not uncommon, I doubt anything was damaged.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:27 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

Chewing on techs is never a good idea. Stuff happens. Back in the panhead/shovel days it was always a good idea to check a bike closely before taking it for a ride. Common practice was to clamp a vice-grip to one of the floor boards.

I think you did right by getting off of the bike and I'm sure if you are nice (read that again a couple of times, okay?), maybe even show up with a case of beer and a case of pop when it's done you will make some friends for life. They will do a super job on your bike, I guaranttee that. Ask me how I know...

Old 04-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Unit 91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crex39
Typical RUB. You are the whining puzzy. Easter is ruined WAAAAH. Pick up a damn wrench. Stick to your Beemer, maybe your butler can do the oil change.
It really isn't ruined, I was being a bit sarcastic.

I keep hearing RUB so I finally looked it up. That is clever. I'm not rich, but I appreciate you thinking I am... I guess.

I wish I had a butler. Alas, it is an old r75... not exactly what you are thinking of I'm sure.

Originally Posted by DoomGloom
Ex race fabricator and tech with no torque wrench, torx bits or 5 mins of time to torque down 4 bolts to spec? You allowed this to "ruin your Easter ride" ? Sympathy is gonna be hard to come by around these parts with replies like that.......you will learn to NEVER to let HD techs touch your bike unless there is no other alternative.....
Unfortunately a lot of my tools were stolen. I have the things I need to work on cars and whatnot, but will need to add bits and pieces here and there. I have a manual on order, which doesn't help me right this second.

Hey, if that is the case then I'll find out and Harley won't touch the bike again. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

Originally Posted by bjewell
I think you did right by getting off of the bike and I'm sure if you are nice (read that again a couple of times, okay?), maybe even show up with a case of beer and a case of pop when it's done you will make some friends for life. They will do a super job on your bike, I guaranttee that. Ask me how I know...
I agree.

Eh, sorry for the attitude earlier. Wasn't in the best mood.

Everyone have a great holiday weekend.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Good Lord. Dude's not even really upset about the whole deal & some of you start wiggin'. Swear to God, some of y'all are so "hard core" it hurts. We get it, so just relax already.

I do all my own work, 'cos I'm cheap, I'm broke & I can, but if I had a brandy-new bike AND a warranty? Hell yeah, I'ma let the dealer make things right on his nickel & time (which I also do not have unlimited amounts of...), which it sounds like the dealer is doing.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Now, this is just me, in conversation with my parrot here, and we think what is really the important issue here is you do want the dealer to see it and rectify it because you want/need something like this documented.

"Documented" is the key word here, you want this in the record. For a couple of reasons:

1) So HD is made aware of a possible problem either at assembly, QC, or setup. Somewhere, somebody screwed a damn big pooch here that could have resulted in a death, or worse. Like, you may not have died but you could have ended up in a corn field with a rail road tie crammed up your wahoo or something to that effect in some freak of nature accident.

2) You want this in the record in case something somehow happens that can be related to this issue. Maybe a triple tree gets a fracture or something, then you could say "Whoa Whoa Whoa, you SOB's screwed my schize up and now you're gonna make it right". Stuff like that.

3) You want this malfunction documented in case you get a piece of some Hugeogantic class action law suit that says you get 50 thousand kronkrites for your pain and suffering

No, this could have been rectified easy enough with a wrench in your garage but these things like this need to be documented.

Medulla Oblongata

Old 04-18-2014, 09:21 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Now, this is just me, in conversation with my parrot here, and we think what is really the important issue here is you do want the dealer to see it and rectify it because you want/need something like this documented.

"Documented" is the key word here, you want this in the record. For a couple of reasons:

1) So HD is made aware of a possible problem either at assembly, QC, or setup. Somewhere, somebody screwed a damn big pooch here that could have resulted in a death, or worse. Like, you may not have died but you could have ended up in a corn field with a rail road tie crammed up your wahoo or something to that effect in some freak of nature accident.

2) You want this in the record in case something somehow happens that can be related to this issue. Maybe a triple tree gets a fracture or something, then you could say "Whoa Whoa Whoa, you SOB's screwed my schize up and now you're gonna make it right". Stuff like that.

3) You want this malfunction documented in case you get a piece of some Hugeogantic class action law suit that says you get 50 thousand kronkrites for your pain and suffering

No, this could have been rectified easy enough with a wrench in your garage but these things like this need to be documented.

Medulla Oblongata
Medulla Oblongata I think I know that guy! I tought it was 50,000 quadloo's and james t. kirk makes off with the girl!

Quick Reply: Easter Weekend - Ruined