Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easter Weekend - Ruined

Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Unit 91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Easter Weekend - Ruined

I have tomorrow (Good Friday) off of work and had planned to put a couple hundred miles in. The best laid plans...

Riding home yesterday and noticed the steering felt a bit odd, front wandered a touch and when I stopped the front wanted to pull right a touch. Could not figure out what was going on for the life of me. It was windy, so I sort of wrote it off to that. Until...

...I was almost at my mom's house (stop in and say hello like the good son I am) and happened to glance at my triples. Guess what, the fork tubes are actually slipping in the triples. The left leg is now shorter, but they've both moved a bit. That explains the wonkey handling.

Never had this happen before. Haven't hit anything. Pretty bummed. Incredibly angry. 630 miles and this happens. So I carefully ride the bike the four miles home - slowly. I rattled off a rather terse e-mail to the selling dealer. I'm not anywhere near them, but I want to make them aware.

Their response was friggin' amazing. It reminded me why I went two hours away to buy from them. The service advisor e-mailed me back today, called my local and coordinated with them to have it picked up and covered. He didn't come back at me with attitude, he was polite and professional. I e-mailed him an apology, because I really should have waited until I was a bit calmer. I know it was irrational, but hey... it was my immediate reaction.

My local is picking up the bike tomorrow afternoon and I'm guessing I won't get it back until after the weekend. Bummed about that, but stoked on the response from both dealers involved. Hell, the local even knew who I was when I rang them and I've NEVER talked to them before. Knew the second they got my name.

HUGE shout out to Ventura Harley (selling dealer), Jeremy (service advisor), Deez (salesman) and OC Harley and their service crew. No, the issue hasn't been taken care of yet, but I'm over the moon with the response so far. Thanks, guys.

No long weekend trip for me. I suppose I'll ride the BMW around a bit (I know... woe is me).

Ride safe, everyone.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:48 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I may have missed something in that post, but why don't you just get the legs back to where they need to be and tighten the pinch bolts on the trees?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Unit 91
Tourer

I don't have the right size tool needed. If it was a prep issue, what else is going on? I want it looked over for peace of mind.

Could I do it myself? Yeah. Don't see the need, though. Bike is new and under warranty.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

New bike, I'd be calling them too.

Better to find it now than while away and half way through a long ride.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Unit 91
Tourer

By the way, the weekend isn't really ruined. That was slightly sarcastic. So before you get all mad, I'm not serious. I'm also not that dramatic.

SLV, exactly.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't see it was a new bike. I would agree that a once over on the bike after missing something like that on prep would be a good idea.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Unit 91
Tourer

Originally Posted by agove
I didn't see it was a new bike. I would agree that a once over on the bike after missing something like that on prep would be a good idea.
You do have a point - it wasn't very clear. My bad.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell the dealership what your plans were and maybe they will set you up with a bike for the weekend...it's been done before.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,194 Likes on 8,359 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Tell the dealership what your plans were and maybe they will set you up with a bike for the weekend...it's been done before.
Why bother? He`s got a ride for the weekend, even if it is a Beemer

Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be curious to know just how loose the bolts are. That could have been really bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Easter Weekend - Ruined