Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch cover torox stripped

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch cover torox stripped

The torox screws that hold the clutch/primary cover on my '12 Street Bob is stripped, one of them at least. I am using the T-25 torox and remember last year that one got partially stripped. What do you use to get this off? I forgot what it is called but recall my dad years ago using something to remove this. And if I go to the dealer to get more screws are there other options besides the torox screws?

Old 04-19-2014, 02:42 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

How about a picture.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:59 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
The torox screws that hold the clutch/primary cover on my '12 Street Bob is stripped, one of them at least. I am using the T-25 torox and remember last year that one got partially stripped. What do you use to get this off? I forgot what it is called but recall my dad years ago using something to remove this. And if I go to the dealer to get more screws are there other options besides the torox screws?
Rapp it hard directly on the head to break it loose. Use a chisel across the head of the bolt, it will turn. I thought the bolts were 27's ?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

If you are talking about the head being stripped then I think you're looking for an extractor. Those bolts do appear to be made out of some type of soft European cheese since I may have "smoothed" out the torx head on one a bit myself on mine.
I think torque on those is 85-110 inch/pounds but I think it best to stay right at the 85 mark.
Extractor will have sort of reverse edges on it that bite into the head where you've somewhat rounded it out.
Back it out gently and get a new one.

Unless I'm all wrong about this then the disclaimer is this is what I would do and if you screw up your bike doing what I would do then, well, that's on you

Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 PM
flicksport1200
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres what i did when it happened on my sporty cause those torx heads are junk and should be replaced anyway drill the head completely off to get the cover off then use a pair of vise grips on the remainder of the threads and they should back out if you take your time u shouldn't mess up the finish on your cover

Old 04-19-2014, 04:30 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a t-27 torx just saying.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:24 PM
lllFIGJAMlll
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the chisel. or dremel a straight line across it so you can use a flat head...but of course replace it with another once its out.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

they are 27's if you use a 25 for sure that cheesey bolt will become mouse bait. another thing you can try is a holding a sharp point punch on an angle where it will break the bolt loosethen wit a 27 torx you can turn the rest by hand. alot of people torque those way more than they have to. 85" pounds is no more than 7 ft/lb's, so since we don't all have ultra nice torque wrenches cross tighten them like you would a 5 bolt car wheel using finger power only. when you feel the 27 torx just starting to twist you know it's enough.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah the correct size is torx 27. Warm up the screws first with a hair dryer before you start wrenching. Afterwards replace the screws with botton head allen screws.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Put the torx back in. Don't fall for the button head allen bit. Take a look and see how much smaller the allen is on that sized bolt vs the t-27 torx. Plus the torx has waaaay more grip area than a hex. HD coulda put hex bolts in for less $, they didn't.

Quick Reply: clutch cover torox stripped