Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition/lock switch removal...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM
h0MbrE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition/lock switch removal...?

The ignition/lock switch on my '08 Superglide is locked up all of a sudden. I've searched the web looking for instructions on how to remove/replace it but haven't found any good info. If anyone can tell me how to do it or point to a link that has instructions I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:13 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take off the two bolts holding the console in and pull up the console. You'll see how easy it is.

You can order a new one through harley along with your key code to get the same one that will work with your current key

Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 PM
h0MbrE
Intermediate

There's no console, it's on the right side of the fork. It's an ignition/fork lock switch. Personally that is the thing I've disliked about this bike... I hate the design. It looks just like this one:

Attached Thumbnails Ignition/lock switch removal...?-switch.jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh ok, sorry. Was the forks locked last time you put it up? Either way I would move the forks back and forth while trying to turn the key. You can also try putting some graphite inside the keyhole

Old 04-20-2014, 05:25 PM
h0MbrE
Intermediate

Yep, tried it. I got it to unlock the forks but the key won't turn into the position to let me start it. It is locked up and needs replaced... I just need to figure out how to do it.

Last edited by h0MbrE; 04-20-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:34 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

There is a little plastic trap door under the frame at the front of the tank (about 3" to the left of that switch) You will have to take the trap door off and you should be able to get into the backside of the switch. Pull your main fuse before you stick your fingers in there. You may have to slide your tank back a few inches if there isn't enough clearance for you to get in there.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heres how you remove it,, remove the stuck on sticker switch surround, I use circlip pliers but you can improvise, you will see 2 holes I cant remember turn left or turn the plate right as too unscrew it, what your trying too achieve is the switch assembly spreads in /out and that's how it is held in to the neck no bolts just try and youll see what I mean and as above remove trap flap cover

Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,043 Likes on 11,063 Posts
Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

seems to be a common problem mine was acting up, sprayed it real good from under the neck and moved it around with a screw driver works fine now had to release it with a pick and get the wheel straight must be on a type of spring. that collects dirt over time and stops working

Old 04-20-2014, 09:19 PM
h0MbrE
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'll need to get the tool for it regardless. I wonder if I will be able to clean it and free it up or if I should just replace it. Really sucks because today was the first chance I would have had to ride this year! I was all dressed for a ride and it wouldn't let me start the damn thing today. Funny thing, I just took it for a quick jog up to the store about a week or so ago and not a problem. Strange that they go out like that with no warning whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Ignition/lock switch removal...?