Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatbob rear wheel bearing installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:28 PM
nastyhabitsracing
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fatbob rear wheel bearing installation

08 dyna fatbob. Put new bearings in both wheels. Got the front figured out. Need help w rear. Which bearing gets pushed in more to compensate with spacers? Thank u in advance!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:33 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Front: Left side
Rear: Right, rotor side

Bearings always go to the 'primary' side for any HD bike. .primary being the side with the rotor. For dual disk models like the Fat Bob the primary is the left side.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM
nastyhabitsracing
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thank you. So this is what I did for the front, can you correct me if im wrong before I burn up my bearings rim or new tire. I seated both bearings flush with the outside of the hub. Then I pushed in the left bearing untill the inner rim spacer was slightly contacting both bearings.

Is this correct? Should I do the same with the rear? (Opposite side though)

I have a manual but it dont tell ya squat.

Thank you!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nastyhabitsracing
Awesome thank you. So this is what I did for the front, can you correct me if im wrong before I burn up my bearings rim or new tire. I seated both bearings flush with the outside of the hub. Then I pushed in the left bearing untill the inner rim spacer was slightly contacting both bearings.

Is this correct? Should I do the same with the rear? (Opposite side though)

I have a manual but it dont tell ya squat.

Thank you!!!
Nope you did it wrong. .the manual does spell it out. The left bearing gets seated against the machined lip in the hub on the front wheel. Then you insert the bearing spacer/sleeve. Then, keeping that bearing spacer/sleeve centered you press the right side bearing in until it touches the spacer/sleeve. This method ensures the rotor, which is bolted to the wheel, is centered in the brake caliper. You can remove the right side bearing, and toss it since you'll be side loading it to remove, and press the left side in all the way to the machined lip. You'll need a new bearing for the right side.

I'm assuming you have the right tools to support the inner/outer races of the bearings so as to not side load the bearing during install.

On the rear you press the right/rotor bearing until it contacts the machined lip, then insert spacer/sleeve, and then press the left bearing until it contacts the spacer/sleeve. Don't overdo it on the 2nd bearing, ie you shouldn't be exceeding the axle torque (~60ft-lb for front and ~90-100ft-lb for the rear).