Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Picking New Harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:02 PM
FellOff
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help Picking New Harley

Hello All,

I am probably over thinking the crap out of this, but I wanted to hear from some Dyna owners on their bikes/experiences.

I am currently Harley-less, had a RKC, a Electraglide Classic and a 2011 Street Glide.....long story but I sold the SG last October. Thought I was done riding. Mostly do short 100 mile rides or shorter lunch rides etc. Loved the SG but it is gone....not sure I "needed" a touring bike based on my usage. Probably not going to do long trips as my back usually cannot hold out anyways.

Here is what happened, my wife used to ride dirt bikes in Michigan, a lot. Well we got married, she moved to Florida to our home (my old home ) and kept harping that she missed my SG.....so last Saturday we went "looking"....well, I threw out a lowball offer on a new 883 Super Low and next thing you know, I am driving it home for her until she gets her endorsement (this week, she doesn't mess around).

Now she has a bike, I have squat! Going to the dealership did nothing but get the juices flowing again. But I am torn.....the SG's are $23K+ and they have a lot of neat features, but since she has her own, I looked at what I would consider non-2 up bikes....and fell for the Dyna Street Bob....but this little pain in my head or lower, says that I should go for a larger bike already set for 2 up in case she wants to ride with me etc.

So I am torn between a Street Bobber, a RK, or a SG....I know, way different.....and I think I have answered my own question when comparing price etc.

But here is my question's, for those who purchased a solo rider, did you add seat, passenger pegs, etc. for those one-off times where you ride a passenger and am I right to think it costs about $1500 to do so? How does the ride compare to a touring bike for city only driving? If you had a touring bike before hand, do you know miss the ride, the stereo etc?

I know only I can ultimately answer the question of to buy or not, but I am curious if any of you fought with the same dilemmas and decided on Dyna and why.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Yes, I agree whole-heartedly, you should get one!

Two if feasible.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would she ride with you when she can ride beside you?
She'll have her own seat on her own bike... sounds like the perfect setup to me!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:11 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have been on the touring bikes and i own a dyna custom, if i had been on the the rk, uc, or sg before the dyna.. i would have gone to the touring side, even for around town, just for the comfort and it would be more comfortable for my wife... gotta make her happy, and she said she misses the sg? you got your answer right there

Old 04-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it seems as if she has her own bike and won't be riding with you much? I'd say get the Street Bob. But I'm partial.....

Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i need to also add my wife ride a slim and loves it, but there are times when we go out on my dyna... to her its a different closeness with me

Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street bob is a really good value. A lot cheaper then a Sg. Why get a bike for 2 up riding when that will be a rare occasion. I'd go for the bob and if she decided she wants to ride on the back every once ina while she could do that. No point to get a bagger if you don't need it for its capability.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:35 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see why you would want a touring bike when your not going touring. I own a superglide but also love the Road king but the king just doesn't make any sense for where I ride and how I ride. My wife does ride with me about 20% of the time and bought a sundowner seat, backrest, and mini floorboard foot pegs for her comfort, but in your circumstance all you woud need to buy is the 2up seat and that can be had for 150-250, done. With the purchase of the sporty I kinda doubt she will be riding with you anymore and with you on the dyna it will be a perfect match to hit some twistys.

With your bad back, you will enjoy the lighter weight of the dyna backing out of the garage. You can upgrade the suspension on a dyna and enjoy a ride as good as a touring bike.

So to sum it all up:
Go with the sports car and not the cadillac. You can thank me after the first couple rides.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 PM
MainelyScott
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my Switchback, fantastic as a solo, but can easily handle two...

Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

I've done over 60,000km on my 2010 street bob.

The only time I want a tourer is a few times a year when I do a big trip.

I think a dyna will be more matched to your wife on her sporty as well. (In terms of the types of riding and distances you can both do)

Quick Reply: Help Picking New Harley