Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piggyback shocks and straight rate springs with Emulators, WOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Piggyback shocks and straight rate springs with Emulators, WOW

How do I know just how bitchin' my bike handles with the new suspension?

Let me tell ya'all, got 1500 miles on her with the set-up. Impressed right of the gate: I-90 where I live has these freakin' big ruts worn by rigs running studded tires in the winter time, would toss my bike all over, even with a steering damper. New suspension, barely notice the ruts. But here is the kicker: last Saturday went for a group ride, on the way home I start to notice a little bit of a wobble, but it was really windy, so hmmm. Next day, go with some friends, including one who just got a new BMW naked sport bike, and we tear up 300 miles of kick-*** twisty back roads.

The whole time I'm noticing this wobble, but I had to show the Beemer rider just what a Dyna is capable of ( they were impressed). By the time we get home, the wobble is so pronounced, that the other riders can see my bike moving around, but I can still keep it going down the road, barely. Turns out it was my rear wheel bearings, completely destroyed, and wasted the hub as well ( now I need a new wheel, probably 2 weeks to get one in). Anyways, I'm pretty sure with stock suspension, would have never made it, let alone been able to tear it up. Totally worth the time and money to upgrade your suspension, whether it be with Emulators, Ricors, cartridge inserts, etc. And those Sway-Away shocks are pretty damn good as well.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep best money I've spent on my bike was the front and rear suspension. It's unreal how much better the bike handles. I dunno if you are already running true track or sputhe but that made a big difference in the wobble as well. Obviously your shot bearings were the main cause of your wobble, but I'm a believer in the stabilizer links

Old 04-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Loner88
Road Captain

yeah, I've been running a Sputhe positrac up front and rear for the last 20K, totally worth the money also.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 AM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about the rear wheel. Stoked on the suspension. Tryna upgrade mine here soon...

Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

For that kind of money, it better be good
Enjoy your smooth ride!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Loner88
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 128auto
For that kind of money, it better be good
Enjoy your smooth ride!
Thanks man, it is indeed a vast improvement over stock suspension with a steering damper and stabilizers.250 for the shocks; 'bout 320 for the springs and emulators. Not huge bucks, probably less than most people put into a pipe ( or a 'big name' set of aftermarket shocks ) . Add another 400 + for stabilizers, but I did the front first, and that was most of the gain, little bit of a let down when I got the rear, front stabilizer is like 70% of the improvement, and rear is a Royal PITA to install by yourself ( Sputhe will sell the front and rear individually).

As an aside, fairly damn stupid of me to ignore the wobble and push my bike like that. Not only would I have avoided the downtime of waiting for a new wheel if I stopped riding as soon as the wobble became apparent, as wheel hub likely would not have been destroyed, but letting ego and pride override common sense is a surefire way to become a statistic.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM
KennyHasTattoos
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest Update. 2000 FXDL

Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Loner88
Road Captain

Nice FXDX, Kenny. They did come with good suspension from the factory (unlike my FXDB); did you upgrade yours? Maybe you should start a thread on your bike