Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob with Memphis shades batwing question

Old 04-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Ben Marsh
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob with Memphis shades batwing question

Hi everyone. I'm adding a Memphis shades batwing to my 2008 Fat Bob with the quick release triggers so I can pop it on before any real long highway only trips. But here is my dilemma. Windshield or spoiler and how tall?

I really like the look of the spoiler and they come in 5", 6 1/2", or 9". If you buy one too tall you loose some vision in front. Too short and you direct the wind right into your face.

I've ordered everything but the top so I can install it and get an idea of where it sits. After that it is trying to figure out the clearance I'll need, but need an idea of how high the spoiler throws the wind. Either that or a 9" or 12" clear windshield will be added instead.

Does anyone have a batwing installed that can give me an idea on what size I'll need to buy? I'm 5'11".

Thanks!

Ben

Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have to get a couple of them to see what works best for you. I'm 5'11" and I run the 5" spoiler. It works for me. My 6 1/2 spoiler does even a better job. I like the way the 5" looks.

The wind deflectors make a big difference. Minimizing wind from below.

I do not wear a helmet so buffeting is no big deal. Buffeting is minimal up to about 70mph for me.

If you really want to block the wind at the head, the 9" or higher is probably your best bet to start.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Slick12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Strobe
You may have to get a couple of them to see what works best for you. I'm 5'11" and I run the 5" spoiler. It works for me. My 6 1/2 spoiler does even a better job. I like the way the 5" looks.

The wind deflectors make a big difference. Minimizing wind from below.

I do not wear a helmet so buffeting is no big deal. Buffeting is minimal up to about 70mph for me.

If you really want to block the wind at the head, the 9" or higher is probably your best bet to start.
I agree with strobe. I have a Memphis shades batwing with a 6 1/2" spoiler wind shield the wind deflectors are a must. I'm 6' tall and the set up I have works great. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:11 AM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get no buffeting even when I wear full face helmet , granted my bike is not stock . with my bat wing I can wear my regular bifocals glasses and the don't fly off . the wind hits my hair on top of head but that's it

Last edited by sonnydaze; 04-26-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Ben Marsh
Intermediate

My big concern with the spoiler is not being able to see through it. You can go clear or faded to clear on the windshield but the spoilers are all solids and pretty dark. I was worried about getting a 9 inch which will keep the wind off me but not let me see the road in front. I think the 5 or 6.5 would give me the vision, just wanted to see if they may be to low.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Bill1374
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a used MS and it came with a short shield on it. I'm 6 foot and the wind caught me right in the eyes. Went with the 9 inch windshiled and set the fairing up a touch more vertical and now have the wind just at the top of my head.
Looked at the spoiler but didn't have the confidence in what size to order. May look that way in the future, though.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The nine inch spoiler is a nice shield and might just work for you at your height, but was a little to short for me being six foot one inch. So I purchased the twelve inch smoke gradient shield and is perfect. I can still see over the shield comfortably, but can easily duck behind the shield when bugs and other flying objects are in the air. Its a little hard to see the top, but the picture on the right is the nine inch spoiler and the other the twelve inch smoke gradient. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob with Memphis shades batwing question-127.jpg   Fat Bob with Memphis shades batwing question-115.jpg  

Last edited by Jeff's 1st Harley; 04-28-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Ben Marsh
Intermediate

Thanks Jeff. After it was mounted we broke out the ol' measuring tape and the 12" shield will come up to about my upper lip. I went with the gradient after seeing your picture.

Will test it out on Saturday