Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDXT Fairing Buffeting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 PM
pbianculli
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDXT Fairing Buffeting Issues

Hello, before I order my fairing I have one question. Has anybody had buffeting issues with an FXDXT fairing with a 14" windscreen? I'm 5'10" and I have a Fat Bob, and my biggest concern is whether or not I'm going to get blasted in the face and eyes with wind when I ride at highway speeds. Aside from that I'm ready to buy this thing!

Old 04-26-2014, 06:23 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a JD Customs and Fabrication fxdxt repro fairing with 16.5" windcreen. I'm 5'11". No buffeting.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:09 PM
dudshep31
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My oem tsport has a 14" and it's great. My reproduction has a 14" and it's terrible. I need a 16" I think

Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 PM
hutch08
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally depends on the rider, which helmet you're wearing, seat height, where the windshield is adjusted, how it's mounted, etc...

Are you using a re-pop JD, Conely's, or original Harley fairing?

For what it's worth I have a 2001 FXDXT with the factory fairing. I'm 5'10" and run a Saddlemen Profiler seat so I sit pretty low on the bike and wear a Simpson Outlaw Bandit helmet.

Originally came with the stock 16" shield, no buffeting whatsoever but I had to look through the shield. The best protection and I could ride with my visor up or an open face easily, but I didn't want to run a clear shield so that wasn't an option... plus the 16" is a little tall for my taste.

Name:  20130823_160232_zpsd64d08cf.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  1.46 MB

The stock shield was pretty scratched up so I decided to cut it down and see how it affected my vision and wind buffeting. I cut it down to 11.5", in hindsight I should of tried cutting it to 14" first to see how that was before chopping it all the way. At 11.5" the wind was hitting me directly in the face and I had really bad buffeting, even with the shield rocked out all the way.

Name:  20130903_163626_zpsdf753990.jpg
Views: 3474
Size:  4.71 MB

By raising my hand while riding I could feel the wind just catching my fingers about eye level, if I crouched down a couple inches it was fine. So I figured the 14" would be the ideal height for me. Ordered up a Cee Bailey's 14.5" opaque black shield and it's perfect. I can just see over the windshield so it doesn't affect my line of sight and I can see the road clearly. The wind just gets pushed up high enough to clear the top of my head. I can actually flip up my visor on the highway and the wind doesn't blast me in the eyes.

Having an all black shield can be a little unnerving at first, but I run tall risers with the gauges mounted on top which would block the view of the road anyways. It doesn't bother me at all and I also usually rock the windshield out all the way as well.

Name:  20130909_101332_zps764ff205.jpg
Views: 4503
Size:  2.10 MB

Name:  20130909_101347_zps8def942f.jpg
Views: 3831
Size:  2.08 MB

Those are the only pics I have of the bike right now from last summer, it's currently being tore down for a motor upgrade and a few cosmetic updates but you still get the idea.

Ideally with a clear windshield you want it to be level with your nose, but for better visibility with a dark shield you can get away with it at mouth height. Obviously this is hard to do without having the fairing mounted on the bike, but that's what works from my experience. Otherwise if you like the look of a lower windshield and dont mind taking the wind in the face, it has to be low enough to direct the wind at your chest. Any higher and you'll get the bobble head effect.

Last edited by hutch08; 04-26-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 PM
pbianculli
Intermediate

Thanks for the info man! I normally wear a half helmet, and I have a stock seat but im not sure how tall it is. I am going to get a Conely's fairing, and judging on how it looks I really dont want to have to move my headlight. I will order it with the 14" windshield, because its the biggest one they come with. I wonder if any aftermarket windshield for an FXDXT will fit, if not, I guess ill have to wear my full face!

Originally Posted by hutch08
Totally depends on the rider, which helmet you're wearing, seat height, where the windshield is adjusted, how it's mounted, etc...

Are you using a re-pop JD, Conely's, or original Harley fairing?

For what it's worth I have a 2001 FXDXT with the factory fairing.
I'm 5'10" and run a Saddlemen Profiler seat so I sit pretty low on the bike and wear a Simpson Outlaw Bandit helmet.

Originally came with the stock 16" shield, no buffeting whatsoever but I had to look through the shield. The best protection and I could ride with my visor up or an open face easily, but I didn't want to run a clear shield so that wasn't an option... plus the 16" is a little tall for my taste.

The stock shield was pretty scratched up so I decided to cut it down and see how it effected my vision and wind buffeting. I cut it down to 11.5", in hindsight I should of tried cutting it to 14" first to see how that was before chopping it all the way. At 11.5" the wind was hitting me directly in the face and I had really bad buffeting, even with the shield rocked out all the way.

By using raising my hand while riding I could feel the wind just catching my fingers about eye level, if I crouched down a couple inches it was fine. So I figured the 14" would be the ideal height for me. Ordered up a Cee Bailey's 14.5" opaque black shield and it's perfect. I can just see over the windshield so it doesn't effect my line of sight and I can see the road clearly. The wind just gets pushed up high enough to clear the top of my head. I can actually flip up my visor on the highway and the wind doesn't blast me in the eyes.

Having an all black shield can be a little unnerving at first, but I run tall risers with the gauges mounted on top which would block the view of the road anyways. It doesn't bother me at all. I also usually rock the windshield out all the way as well.

Those are the only pics I have of the bike right now from last summer, it's currently being tore down for a motor upgrade and a few cosmetic updates but you still get the idea.

Ideally with a clear windshield you want it to be level with your nose, but for better visibility with a dark shield you can get away with it at mouth height. Obviously this is hard to do without having the fairing mounted on the bike, but that's what works from my experience. Otherwise if you like the look of a lower windshield and dont mind taking the wind in the face, it has to be low enough to direct the wind at your chest. Any higher and you'll get the bobble head effect.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 AM
icantread51792
Intermediate

see if clearview makes or will make a windshield for that fairing. They have a recurve option which bumps up the wind an extra 1.5-2" so you can run a shorter shield. They can also ad vents to eliminate any buffeting or low pressure behind the shield.