Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DarkHorse Compensator Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:28 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
Default DarkHorse Compensator Update

To those wondering on the status of the new DarkHorse comp here is what I came across on HTT from John:

"To address our Direct Drive Sprocket (compensator replacement). We have done a ton of R&D with a lot of help of a lot of people, including people on this board and we are by no means done!

That being said, we have struggled getting the right combination/recipe for our dampener bushings to withstand the rigors of the late model crankshafts and drivetrains in all the variations of builds on the market today. Early on we struggled with a few manufacturing issues that we resolved on our prototypes and then got right down to testing. Currently we are under a revision that we believe will give us better longevity with our dampeners. We have some very sharp people and engineers helping with the development of those and have all the confidence we will get there!

We will not release this product until we are confident it will be a better alternative long term than what is currently on the market. On this you have our word, I apologize for letting you down here, but we are making progress and will see it through to market if at all possible.

Thank you all for the interest and support of our motor-products. Looking forward to seeing many of you again at Cinci in a couple of weeks!
John - Darkhorse Crankworks"

Old 04-29-2014, 02:19 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While i would love to see a much improved compensator come to market i really doubt it going to happen sadly. With the amount of time Dark Horse has been messing with this item i hate to think of the cost invested. I have had some great ideas on solving the riddle to making one myself and after i priced the cost of machining some proto ideas i have gave up on it myself. I just don't think there a suitable elastomer product(s) out there that is up to the job

Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Not sure when and if it will come, but I know there will be a huge line to get'em and I will be one of those in line.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:36 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i would buy one too
nice to see a company work out the kinks before they release it to the public and not use thier customers for research and development

Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I know it's too early to call but I think from everything I've read the latest compensator design present on all 2014 Big Twins should hold up. .

But it is nice to have aftermarket solutions.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Have not heard anything but good reviews about the Compensavor set-up sold by GMR, not cheap but I bet the Darkhorse fix wont be either.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

I installed the 2014 comp when i did my build this winter so we'll see how it holds up. It starts getting sketchie when using fluids other than synthetics with aftermarket clutches, but I guess if you can direct the fluid onto the comp, like the 2014 version or with the Compensaver then it should be fine.

It think the DarkHorse comp. might be in the $200-$300 range.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Ah see if you guys hadn't gone and built out your motors and needed new clutches you wouldn't be having these problems . . .

Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 AM
fxdi_flhx
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im done with compensators been running this set up for the last 2 yrs. clutch and sprocket from evolution industries. clutch is awesome never slips and has decent lever pull and is rated up to 220hp. clutch never drags and i always find neutral and use 80w golden spectro oil

Attached Thumbnails DarkHorse Compensator Update-20140316_093833.jpg  
Old 09-13-2014, 01:21 AM
ricksking
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
Ah see if you guys hadn't gone and built out your motors and needed new clutches you wouldn't be having these problems . . .
you are so wrong ther lil buddy...mine i stock except air cleaner and exahust...fuel tuner...nothing major...cant hardly ride mine....just saying...2011 flhx

Quick Reply: DarkHorse Compensator Update