Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs. 2014 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Rumble On Rose
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, exactly!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Rumble On Rose
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petefwa
This says it pretty well, though a Dyna is a damn comfortable bar stool...
Only difference is it's harder to throw a Dyna.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ramhunter9
What a beautiful bike!!!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM
dirtfarmer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved my 13 King but using my bike as a 85% in town comuter it was just to big.
Do I miss it ... you bet, on them longer weekend rides for sure.
And to get them to not have the soap box feel you can always mod them ... I did, here is a pic for comparision

I really like my W/G but I wouldn't wait a minute to part with it for a ride like this. Very nice.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:46 AM
CharruaHD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved my 13 King but using my bike as a 85% in town comuter it was just to big.
Do I miss it ... you bet, on them longer weekend rides for sure.
And to get them to not have the soap box feel you can always mod them ... I did, here is a pic for comparision

ramhunter9,
What kind of Fairing and Apes did you have on the road king?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I happen to have an '01 FXD and a 2014 RK (an XR1200 too but that's beside the point).
Quite different machines. I've had the FXD since it was new which says a lot for it. Its been on many trips and I still enjoy riding it every chance I get.
To be fair it has the advantage of 14 years of tweaking and modifying and is kind of like a comfortable chair that has broken in to your body. Mustang seat, Ohlins shocks, reworked forks and various other ergonomic tweaks have brought it to that point.
The RK is simply more aimed at touring. I wanted the hard, locking bags, abs, cruise control and bigger windscreen. I find its a very stable handling bike and a real delight to ride. Its smoother than the Dyna and I would say the brakes are a considerable improvement.
I love them both and if it came down to having to part with one it would be a difficult decision.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

If the RK could drop 50-75 lbs. in weight, I would buy one.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:54 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts

A year ago to the month, my wife and I both bought FLD's. I had test ridden other flavors of Dyna's and also the 2014 RK. I'm 6' w/ 34" inseam and the RK felt big. In my test ride, I thought it outhandled the Fat Bob I had also ridden that day, thought it had better suspension than any of the Dyna's, and by far had the best brakes over the Dyna's. However, I couldn't get past the extra 100lbs over the Switchback. I thought the FLD combined the fun factor of the Dyna's and the touring friendly amenities of the RK. Also thought the FLD handled the best of the Dyna's. I've modded my FLD to be comfy for me and I don't feel the RK has anything over the Dyna for my needs.

The RK is great bike, but one has to want that flavor of HD. The FLD does it for me.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
A year ago to the month, my wife and I both bought FLD's. I had test ridden other flavors of Dyna's and also the 2014 RK. I'm 6' w/ 34" inseam and the RK felt big. In my test ride, I thought it outhandled the Fat Bob I had also ridden that day, thought it had better suspension than any of the Dyna's, and by far had the best brakes over the Dyna's. However, I couldn't get past the extra 100lbs over the Switchback. I thought the FLD combined the fun factor of the Dyna's and the touring friendly amenities of the RK. Also thought the FLD handled the best of the Dyna's. I've modded my FLD to be comfy for me and I don't feel the RK has anything over the Dyna for my needs.

The RK is great bike, but one has to want that flavor of HD. The FLD does it for me.

I agree, one has to want whatever flavor of HD it is.
I strongly considered the FLD as well. Theres a lot to like about that bike and I do like Dynas. The main things that stopped me were these:
The windshield seems to small. I have a larger one on my Dyna, custom cut by Rifle for the HD windshield brackets and it still does a lot of buffeting, much more than the RK.
At the time they weren't offering abs on the FLD and I really prefer to get it if I can when I buy a new bike.
I thought the bags were significantly smaller than I wanted. I could have lived with them but it didn't seem like there was an easy trunk solution available at the time.
The FLD did not have cruise control and I really wanted that feature also.
The good thing was that the FLD was much lighter than the RK and it is a Dyna. It was a pretty close call but I just came down on the side of the RK. If I were doing it again today I think it would still be the RK but maybe not.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:20 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

This is exactly where I'm at right now. I'm riding a '14 FXDC, the one in my sig pic.

However, I'm starting to look at more longer rides, and I love the look of the RK. A local tech is a former professional MotoGP racer, owns a Dyna and an RK, and we were talking about "liking to really ride". He said when he takes a ride through the local twisties, he always takes the RK.

I think I'll rent one for a day, and see what I think.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs. 2014 Road King