Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs. 2014 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Rumble On Rose
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna vs. 2014 Road King

Hi All. New member here. Today I got a chance to put a couple of hundred miles on a 2014 Road King while my 2013 FXDC was being serviced. My first impression of the Road King was that I felt like I was sitting on a soapbox because the seating position was so high. I see what people mean when they say you sit ~on~ a Road King. Not a knock, just how it is. It also took a while to get my feet comfortable. The forward controls on my Super Glide are what feel the most natural to me. The boards and highway pegs of the Road King both felt a little weird, particularly at first. At 75 or 80 on the freeway, I felt the wind trying to lift my right foot. But as a little time went by, I started to get used to all of the differences from my bike, and to appreciate how remarkably nimble and balanced the big bike felt. Noticeably smoother than the Dyna on the freeway. I hopped from the 15 onto the 76 and cruised out through Santa Ysabel and Julian to the Sunrise Highway. The King handled very nicely through the twisting back roads. I found that the power was crisp, particularly around 3000 - 4500 rpm. Today was a pretty heavy Santa Ana, and one thing I noticed was that the big bike didn't even flinch in the high winds. So by the time I got back to the dealer I was pretty used to the King and had a good feeling for what it was about. In a nutshell it's a very smooth bike that does everything very well. So would I trade my Super Glide for it? No. Why not? Technically, it's probably better in every way than my Dyna. The answer is because the personality of the King is very well mannered and smooth. It's very niiiiice. The personality of my Dyna is more like that of the kid who you were never supposed to hang out with. The one who always wanted to cause trouble. It's raw and loud. And FUN. To me, my Dyna is more the essence of what a Harley should be. So perhaps this is more a reflection of me than of two motorcycles. My take away from today is that without question, the 2014 Road King is a remarkable machine. But it's just not for me. So I thought I'd use my inaugural post to share my thoughts on how I spent my afternoon today. Many thanks to Maili, Steve, Brian, and Marty for taking such good care of me at Biggs HD!

Ride Safe!!
Chris

Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Elemental13
Cruiser

I completely agree with you on this I have put some miles on new road kings I wanted one bad enough when I had a size able down payment for a 13 classic I wanted oh so bad I went back to the dealer and they had already sold it. Not that I'm unsigned happy with my dyna I just wanted something a little bigger. And I'm not a huge fan of the plastic bags I like the leather bags white walls and spiked wheels better on the classic but since harley discontinued that model after 13 I am going to pay my dyna off by next year and see how the new 15 roadglide looks I want something just bigger with cruise for the long road trips I tend to get myself into

Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Rumble On Rose
3rd Gear

Yeah, after some 5-600 mile days I might change my tune! But if I can only own one bike, I honestly prefer the Dyna.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Want to be in heaven? Get a Road King, Street Bob and a XR1200 and you will be. No one bike can do it all. Those three come close.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Rumble On Rose
3rd Gear

Three bikes is a nice fantasy. Sounds too much like having three wives to me though. Those bitches'd eat me alive! One's plenty! Well ok, maybe two...

Old 05-01-2014, 03:17 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 11,106 Posts

To summarize, the Road King is a comfy recliner and the Dyna is a bar stool.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:56 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
To summarize, the Road King is a comfy recliner and the Dyna is a bar stool.
This says it pretty well, though a Dyna is a damn comfortable bar stool...

Old 05-01-2014, 06:31 AM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

Loved my 13 King but using my bike as a 85% in town comuter it was just to big.
Do I miss it ... you bet, on them longer weekend rides for sure.
And to get them to not have the soap box feel you can always mod them ... I did, here is a pic for comparision

Old 05-01-2014, 08:05 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

I've tried to like a Road King and two 120R Road Glides over the past couple of years...the only place I preferred them over my FXDXT and now my FXDF was on freeways. Period.
I ride solo (wife has her own FXDL) and avoid freeways like the plague; have done over half the states and provinces on the Dyna's so far. Just my opinion; your experience may vary.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

From time to time, I ride with some club guys to and from North Carolina, or the Florida panhandle. These guys really burn up some miles and we ride in a very tight formation. The RC rides a RK and I'm usually right behind him. Left side of the lane about 6-12" from the painted line.

His RK is rock solid in heavy wind while I struggle to keep the Dyna on such a true track. But, as soon as we leave the highway and get anywhere twisty (especially around Fayettevile NC) I always have the tight line and the speeds make me feel like I'm following a dump truck.

Quick Reply: Dyna vs. 2014 Road King