Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't let the shine blind you

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Don't let the shine blind you

Some may say that I have gone too far but since I was changing the rear tire, I wanted to clean the rear spokes really well. They are too hard to clean on the bike and with new saddlebags on now, it is really really hard to get to the spokes. I'm putting a new Michelin Commander II rear tire on and Lyndall Gold Z Plus pads. Maybe that will end the brake dust rust on the spokes.

This maybe considered **** but I notice on the inside of the rim that there were 2 rings of rust where the edge of the rubber strip meets up to the wheel. I assume there may be condensation that would build up ever so slight inside the tire during the winter or maybe even a little leakage around the spokes. Nevertheless, the inside of the wheel was cleaned and waxed as well. Maybe that will slow down the rust termites.

I like doing things like changing my tire myself so I can clean and inspect things like this. These items would not get a second glance by a shop unless they thought they could sell something off of it.

Attached Thumbnails Don't let the shine blind you-image.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Attention to detail. Nice job!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good job, but these never seem clean to me. I want mags

Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My next bike will have chrome mags if I can afford them. I do like the look of old school spokes but the cleaning is terrible. I have spent 6.5 hours flossing the front and rear the first time. Changing to Lyndall Pads should stop the rusty brake dust problem.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Looks good. I like spokes but they are too hard to keep clean.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:14 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job! Tried cleaning my laced wheels last year when I changed rubber, but once those cad plated spokes oxidize to a certain point, it's a lost cause

Old 05-02-2014, 12:13 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John_K
Nice job! Tried cleaning my laced wheels last year when I changed rubber, but once those cad plated spokes oxidize to a certain point, it's a lost cause
Laced wheels, gotta have Stainless spokes and Nipples......Just wipe em and they look like new.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,179 Likes on 11,109 Posts

I chose spokes because I like they way they look, looks old school and traditional. A lot of work to clean but they pop when they are clean.
Reminds me to stock up on Q-Tips.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! I'm kinda a jerk about things being clean and shiny to. I even keep my John Deere tractors clean and shiny. I figure a clean machine is a cared for machine

Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
Nice! I'm kinda a jerk about things being clean and shiny to. I even keep my John Deere tractors clean and shiny. I figure a clean machine is a cared for machine
Yep me too. I use a fifty fifty mixture of simple green in a spray bottle to hit the tires and spokes with on bike wash day. It has worked pretty well for me to this point.

Quick Reply: Don't let the shine blind you