Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Oil? Help me t/s

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Red Oil? Help me t/s

Just got to work and noticed on the right side of my bike I have what looks like thin red oil all over the front of the engine, a/c, rear brake pedal, some splattered on my pipes...

There is also a red ring around my right for tube. So I am pretty much guessing I busted a fork seal. I pushed down on the forks to check the rebound and it seemed normal and I didnt see oil spewing out, but it seems it makes a perfect red oil ring when it comes back up.

So basically, just looking for confirmation that its a busted fork seal. Appreciate your inputs

Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you got it figured out. That sucks dude. Did you hit any big potholes/bumps that would explain a blowout?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

reddish pink sounds like fork oil

Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Yep. Because one tube is still working, you'd have to push really hard and fast to force oil from the failed side. You should hear air coming out though.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Thanks guys. I didnt hit anything hard in the road, I guess its just "normal" wear and tear. Dont have time or tools to work on this myself right now, hopefully Sweetwater HD will treat me right, they have decent reviews.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

I just did this myself last weekend. Mine wasn't leaking, but I was putting chrome sliders on. Its not a bad job by any means. If you have a way to jack the front of the bike up to slide the fork tubes out you don't really need any special tools.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I just did this myself last weekend. Mine wasn't leaking, but I was putting chrome sliders on. Its not a bad job by any means. If you have a way to jack the front of the bike up to slide the fork tubes out you don't really need any special tools.
I really would prefer to do this work myself cause I have never done it before. I normally go to the hobby shop on base to do any work. They have a lift, but not a jack that fits my bike. I dont have the dyna lift adapters either. Jack is a future purchase but just going to bite the bullet for now and take it to the dealer. I feel like sh*t right now anyways with some kind of bug, just want to get the bike fixed andget rested so I can make a planned ride on Sunday.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Might check around your steering head bearing also, I've seen guys use red grease in there and once it heats up in summer they'll have some red streaks of oil all over the front of their bikes.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:10 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the fork oil is blue in our bikes unless you have some special brand. plus a 2011 should have no reason to leak fork oil unless you had hit something or popped a wheelie and let it down real hard. Now brake fluid on the other hand is red once it has worked a bit.Have you checked your brake bleeder valves and res. level?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 PM
motsknab77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
the fork oil is blue in our bikes unless you have some special brand. plus a 2011 should have no reason to leak fork oil unless you had hit something or popped a wheelie and let it down real hard. Now brake fluid on the other hand is red once it has worked a bit.Have you checked your brake bleeder valves and res. level?
I would give this a serious good points here. Also where you are explaining you see the splatters doesn't coincide with a fork seal blow out, too low on the bike. It will blow out from the top and splatter the tank and you, rocker covers pant legs.Fluids can be deceiving to the amounts that have really leaked out, a little leaking makes a big mess when in motion. check the brakes.

Quick Reply: Red Oil? Help me t/s