Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very unhappy with my Dyna "wobble"

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 PM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very unhappy with my Dyna "wobble"

Had the Dyna out today....just got it this past winter and haven't had that many chances to ride.

99 Super Glide. 34K on the bike. New tires front and rear, new shocks and fresh fork oil. New neck bearings...front fork fall away was set according to the manual.

I took her out today and for the second time, I felt a noticeable wobble on the highway...first time I thought it was the strong winds, but it wasn't too windy today. It's nothing too crazy but I can feel it and I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I have been doing some reading and apparently this is a common thing. True Track makes a stabilizer and if that's the fix...I am gonna get it on the way tomorrow.

But first things first....I should check the motor mounts. Any suggestions on how to check them? Any thing else I should look into? Any recommendation on which stabizer to buy? True Track? Sputhe Positrac?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by C.J; 05-03-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:01 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Motor mounts need to be checked (and probably be replaced regardless of the True-Track. Look for dry, cracked rubber; worn away spots; even oil saturation. If they are bad, new mounts will help and possibly eliminate the wobble.

A True-Track or Sputhe will absolutely eliminate the wobble.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:05 AM
McPops57
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheel bent? Jack it up and spin them.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:07 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J
Had the Dyna out today....just got it this past winter and haven't had that many chances to ride.

99 Super Glide. 34K on the bike. New tires front and rear, new shocks and fresh fork oil. New neck bearings...front fork fall away was set according to the manual.

I took her out today and for the second time, I felt a noticeable wobble on the highway...first time I thought it was the strong winds, but it wasn't too windy today. It's nothing too crazy but I can feel it and I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I have been doing some reading and apparently this is a common thing. True Track makes a stabilizer and if that's the fix...I am gonna get it on the way tomorrow.

But first things first....I should check the motor mounts. Any suggestions on how to check them? Any thing else I should look into? Any recommendation on which stabizer to buy? True Track? Sputhe Positrac?

Thanks in advance.
l see no mention of checking tyre pressures...

Old 05-03-2014, 12:31 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree with checking motor mounts and tire pressure or untried wheels if they are spokes. Honestly if you haven't changed motor mounts I would just replace them since you have 34k on it they are 15 years old. Look into the Vibra-Technics DYna mount. I've been reading great results and I plan on getting one this winter.

Another thing is did you change to different brand/style tires?? I had the death wobble at 80mph and spent a year searching for it, new motor mounts did all the alignments several times and low and behold it was the rear tire. Put the stock model Dunlop back on and it was gone.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:01 AM
C.J
Tourer

Originally Posted by petefwa
l see no mention of checking tyre pressures...
tire pressure were set at Metzelers recommendation, but I will verify that tomorrow.

Originally Posted by McPops57
Wheel bent? Jack it up and spin them.
possible...will check

Originally Posted by JaronB
Agree with checking motor mounts and tire pressure or untried wheels if they are spokes. Honestly if you haven't changed motor mounts I would just replace them since you have 34k on it they are 15 years old. Look into the Vibra-Technics DYna mount. I've been reading great results and I plan on getting one this winter.

Another thing is did you change to different brand/style tires?? I had the death wobble at 80mph and spent a year searching for it, new motor mounts did all the alignments several times and low and behold it was the rear tire. Put the stock model Dunlop back on and it was gone.
Yes, both tires are new. Rear metzeler 888 and 880 on front. Both have new tubes and were/are balanced with dyna beads.

The thought of a "death wobble at 80" scares the hell out of me....today I holding at 75mph with one hand. Its not all over the place....it just doesn't seem "planted" behind me.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:16 AM
C.J
Tourer

Neither the true track or the sputhe kits replace the factory mounts, they just reinforce the factory mounts....is this correct?

Old 05-03-2014, 02:11 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J
Neither the true track or the sputhe kits replace the factory mounts, they just reinforce the factory mounts....is this correct?
Yep, that's right.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:23 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

CJ I remember you had your front end off to put in those rake cups (not sure what they are called). Did you make sure the stem bearing nut is tight enough? Also that front motor mount might be shot if the steering stem is fine

Old 05-03-2014, 05:39 AM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you ride without a front fender??

I had problems on my 48 wobbling. Put on a fender problem went away. Forks need braces between them.

Quick Reply: Very unhappy with my Dyna "wobble"