Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few 2008 Wide Glide issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 AM
BJames777
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few 2008 Wide Glide issues

Hello to all. New to the Wide Glide, new to the forum, but not to Harleys. That being said, this is my first foray into the fuel injected Harley as ALL my others are Shovelhead powered. Just bought a beautiful 2008 model and I noticed a few issues. All but one I can fix, like the fork seal seeping a little, squealing front brake when cruising, and a few other annoying items like that. However, the one that has me troubled is this: when the bike is cold it will start at a higher RPM than when warm and then it will fairly quickly settle down to normal RPM like when you pull the choke on a carb.....got it. However, once it is warm, sometimes it will do the same when I am coasting to a stop after I have pulled the clutch in. Once I have sat at the stop sign or red light for a few seconds it will calm down to a normal RPM. I also had the experience of loud afterfiring coming out of both exhaust pipes during deceleration or shifting gears as if I had massive exhaust leaks with a carburetor that was 10 jet sizes too big! It happened twice but has not happened again in the 749 miles I have rode the bike. However, the RPM issue is still here on start up even when piping hot and occasionally when cruising to a stop. I compared it to another 2008 and a 2007 and mine is the only one that does this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:28 AM
Danish-chopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.
Now i am no expert, and i havent heard how bad it is, but a twin cam do idle at higher rpm than your old shovelhead. Do you have some kind of tuner or fuelpack on you mashine? The popping on decelleration can occure from having a lean air/fuel mix, and if you are running without ane baffles in your exhausts. If you could give a little more info about your setup I am sure some guys inhere have an answer to your problem. I think most people with performance parts or even a stock setup without baffles experience a single pop every once in a while.. But offcource it should not be as much as you describe.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:18 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

The question about having some time of tuner or fuel management system is one that might help to narrow things down.
I would check for intake and exhaust leaks, they can do what you're describing. I would also get some throttle body cleaner and clean the IAC. If it gets gunked up (and they all do) it can make your idle unstable.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 AM
BJames777
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming! My bike is 100% stock other than the Python slip-ons, which I do not like and will be changed soon. Going to be resealing the front forks and getting the front brake caliper to stop squealing with a new disk and brakes today. Once done with that I guess its time to start some troubleshooting on the intake system to see if I can fix it before sending it to the dealer while its still under warranty. Hate doing that though.