Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ding in my new bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 PM
frontporchblues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ding in my new bike

I have a brand new 2014 Switchback and the other day I noticed it has a small little ding in the tank... not sure how it got there... but... ticks me off!!! Anyways... to the 'normal' eye if you can see it, it looks minimal, but to me it sticks out like a sore thumb and I want it fixed. There is only a small nick of paint damage, no crease etc(like I said minimal), but its the first thing I notice. Anyways what are my options... if I were to get it fixed I want to ensure who does the work does it well if they needed to paint, I would want to ensure its perfect(hey I have issues I know). The dealer told me they do not do this type of work(i.e. body work), they normally order a new tank with major damage... Seems like that would be little like overkill even to me... but its killing me! Any ideas???

Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 PM
jjtroutbum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local paintless dent guy call em up.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't they sell touch-up paint at the dealer? Get a small hobby/art paint brush, dab a little paint into the chip, and then buff it out. Or have someone else do it.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,179 Likes on 11,109 Posts

Originally Posted by bl_dg
Don't they sell touch-up paint at the dealer? Get a small hobby/art paint brush, dab a little paint into the chip, and then buff it out. Or have someone else do it.
OP has a "ding" which means dent to me. Not sure touch up paint will help a dent.
X2 on the paintless dent suggestion.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Paintless dent repair guys, don't fix nicks(chips) in paint, you need a good painter for that. Non metallic colors can be touched up and buffed out to the point it can't be seen if done correctly, metallics are a bit more difficult to just touch up, and usually can be seen after although not as much as the chip. You can find a good paint shop by going to your local paint suppliers (the more the better) and ask who they recommend, they normally don't have a reason to lie. You can also go the local car/bike shows and ask around who is the best, how long they normally take and to see some of their work. Something like that shouldn't take more than a couple days and not cost very much depending on the color(s)/stripes/emblems/decals etc.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

That first ding is a pisser...

I may be coming off as callous, but IMO, if you cannot live with dings, then you will have to park it in the garage under a cover and haul it around in a covered trailer 'cause there are going to be dings and scratches if you ride it...

Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Can you post a pic so we can see how big/bad this dinger is...would aid in assessment and recommended fix actions.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master

I bought a new 1991 FXR at Fairfield, Ohio pulled out of the dealership and two blocks down the street a car flipped up a rock and hit the front of the tank, rode it on home.
Contacted a body man I knew, he came out to the house and looked at it, came back the next day and fixed it, I couldn't even tell where the rock had hit.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM
frontporchblues
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skinman13
That first ding is a pisser...

I may be coming off as callous, but IMO, if you cannot live with dings, then you will have to park it in the garage under a cover and haul it around in a covered trailer 'cause there are going to be dings and scratches if you ride it...
I totally get that... actually the little nick in the paint I can live with... its the ding that really bugs me... My wife thinks I'm crazy as well

Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 PM
frontporchblues
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Can you post a pic so we can see how big/bad this dinger is...would aid in assessment and recommended fix actions.
I will look to post some pics...

Quick Reply: Ding in my new bike