Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well... Guess its time for engine work

Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Well... Guess its time for engine work

Warning, this post contains graphic images....
I had some absolutely terrible luck on Saturday. I am running an aftermarket air cleaner. Like most it is build with the filter element going around the backing plate bolts. Although it looks great, there is one serious flaw. Should a bolt ever vibrate loose, it would have nothing stopping it from being sucked into the throttle body. On Saturday this happened to me. And as a result, I am now looking at major motor repair/modification...

So in goes the bolt, the piston mashes it forward, printing it on the head, the piston then cracks nearly in half and falls into the crank where the motor locks up leaving me barely with my life on the freeway....
The bike, still under warranty is now looking at major engine work that will not be covered. The only way to be optimistic about this is to think about mods I had thought about doing and just pulling the trigger 5k early...
So.
My options are, send the motor out for a reman 96"
Opt for a 103 pay more for a bit more.
Go with an aftermarket motor.
disassemble the motor and send bottom half to have it built by dark horse, purchasing needed parts, and have the top end rebuilt with any number of motor builders...
I'm really at a fork in the road, not sure where to go, dont really have the money to spend on this at the moment but, I'm not against spending more to get a better outcome.
Ok, lets here what the internet has to say....

PS, everyone go make sure your damn bolts are loctited to spec. Needless to say I'll be running a heavy breather from now on...

Old 05-05-2014, 08:50 PM
jrodmma
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thats a rough day for sure...
and i thought my day was crappy, after noticing my brake pedal cover had shook itself loose. Id say pony up the cash, and pop a 103 in there, and paint a silver lining on this dark cloud.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:53 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
Warning, this post contains graphic images....

PS, everyone go make sure your damn bolts are loctited to spec. Needless to say I'll be running a heavy breather from now on...
Nooooooooooo.... sorry to hear about your loss, but glad you made it through it OK. That's looking like at least a new head, and who knows on the bottom end. Probably means a new engine, or a used one while you rebuild yours.

Painful to see, but thanks for sharing. Loctite!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

too bad about your motor, but you were lucky to have avoided crashing when the motor locked up. i would give serious consideration to an s & s motor.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Dude that is one of the shitiest things I could possibly imagine. You have my condolences.

I vote for sending the bottom end to darkhorse and doing a 117 build. Price might hurt but it'll be worth it for all the smiles it puts on your face.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM
MacKo2000
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's sucks so bad. Tempted to take mine off an apply new bolts with fresh locktight. Really sorry for your loss. I think i would cry a little....

Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

that sucks bigtime man

i would lean on the dealership/moco for some warenty work, all they can do is say no

when the stator exploded on my 06 the bike was well out of warenty but the dealership fixed it for free and had moco reimburse thier service department

how they did it i don't know but they did it

Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Dang, that some bad news alright - sorry for your misfortune. There are a lot of 96s/103s sitting around that people pulled for 120s/124s, my local indy about 2 months ago showed me 2 sitting up on a shelf and asked me if I knew anybody that might need one.

Take your time and weigh all the pros and cons on all the options, you will probably come out poorer but faster!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Dang, that definitely sucks. Good luck with the rebuild.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,041 Likes on 11,061 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well... Guess its time for engine work