Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hypercharger question

Ok so I picked up my new to me 02 dyna wide glide this evening. Had just enough time to take a 10 mile ride before storing it away for the night. I noticed it coughed a little when I opened the throttle up. When I got home I noticed that hupercharger thing was not opening the flaps. Sorry don't know the lingo or correct term for that. If I understand correctly those butterfly's are supposed to open with the throttle. I can flip them open with finger but no response when throttle used.

First of all I'm not real crazy about this thing in the first place. I'm not big on custom stuff just want a good reliable bike to ride and enjoy. If this hupercharger thing is going to give me a fit I will get rid of it. To be fair I haven't had a chance to open it up and take a look so maybe it's something simple. Any suggestions??

Old 05-06-2014, 09:22 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

....I'm not a fan of it either. I would recommend getting rid of it. I have heard of it collecting water if you get caught in the rain.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

You would probably be better of with a stock intake and a k&n filter. From what I've heard/experienced, hyperchargers are just for looks and don't do much if anything for performance.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master

I think I will scrap it soon. Or I could offer it for trade on Craigslist for someone's stock setup. Some kid will want the fancy hupercharger and I will gladly take his original lol. I'm not out to be the baddest bike on the road with flashy stuff ( no offenses to those who do want that). I'm just a plain country boy from Kentucky. I rode my dyna wearing carhart overalls and **** kickers today lol. Just want a good running machine I can ride anywhere.

I think for time being I may tie it open. Both flaps are running closed and I think the cough came from lack of air flow. I'll fix them to open untill I can get rid of it

On another subject....love the bike! It shakes and rattles at idle and low speed but got smooth on the highway. Gotta love a harley right lol. Of course I wanted the shake and rumble or else I woulda bought a kawasaki or Honda. Those are great bikes btw. Rode a vulcan and it was nice. Anyway I need a new rear brake pad soon and other than the hupercharger I'm good to go. May change engine oil next week if I can find some mobil 1 20w-50....or maybe try the AmsOil. How many quarts does the 88 hold anyway?

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 05-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Get 4 qts. It'll prolly take 3 max. If you can get it, Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil is good as well. I suggest getting a factory Service Manual. Worth every penny. Don't bother with the Clymer.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
....I'm not a fan of it either. I would recommend getting rid of it. I have heard of it collecting water if you get caught in the rain.
Ditto, I'd do yourself a favor and dump the hypercharger.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master

Check oil level on kickstand or bike up straight? Sorry didn't get a owners manual

Old 05-06-2014, 10:49 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

on kickstand, dont screw it back in when checking level

Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Check oil level on kickstand ..cold level should be between matks ..check it hot it should be close to top mark.the dipstick pushes in on this model dyna .it holds bout 3 qts oil .get a Harley service manual ..best money spent on bike .

Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I have heard nothing positive about the hypercharger in all these years. Get the HD heavybreather is my recommendation.

Quick Reply: Hypercharger question