Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

westcoast mx t-bars - change them or give them time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:01 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default westcoast mx t-bars - change them or give them time?

i recently made the switch from stock mini-apes to mx t-bars and i absolutely love the quality and looks.... but, i just can't get comfortable!

the old bars were 07 mini apes, so not the built in riser kind, and measured about 13" tree to grip and 32" across. I had them rocked forward slightly so it seemed that the grips were almost inline with the trees

almost a straight swap I thought, a little lower would be all... BUT...

...i guess didn't account properly for pullback, or lack off, so I feel like I'm reaching for the grips and my arms never seem to be able to relax!

That all being said, I've only had the bike back on the road for a week - did those that made the switch have any adjustment period? Especially the shorter folks (I'm 5'7")?

Are there any t-bars out there with a bit more pullback, in the crossbar not the riser? Wild1 says their 10" Psycho tbars have 8" pull back, much closer to the stock 10" than WCTs 3.5, does anyone ride those?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser

I just put on some WCMX-tbars this weekend. I'm about your same size. But my bike is a '12 SB with the integrated riser POS! I also love the feel as far as how I sit. Only thing I find uncomfortable is the vibration! Of course yours have bushings so you might not have that problem? I was looking @ getting the vibronators. Anyone know if they fit into WCTBars?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

I've actually had a set of 10" wild one tbars and west coast t- bars that I took turns mounting into the bike to see which I liked better.

I went with wct-bars as I liked the wrist angle and thought they were comfortable.

The wild ones did have more pull back but I thought the angles of my wrists were off. Just not as comfortable to me.

In your case i would go with any drag bar with straight risers and pull back.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:13 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

yeah the vibes are pretty intense with poly bushings, much more than the bendy apes that where on before...

i love the responsiveness but i just can't shake the feeling that something's not right.
i'll take it out for a couple hundred miles over the weekend to try get settled but it's got me worried

Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by iDodgimus
i recently made the switch from stock mini-apes to mx t-bars and i absolutely love the quality and looks.... but, i just can't get comfortable!

the old bars were 07 mini apes, so not the built in riser kind, and measured about 13" tree to grip and 32" across. I had them rocked forward slightly so it seemed that the grips were almost inline with the trees

almost a straight swap I thought, a little lower would be all... BUT...

...i guess didn't account properly for pullback, or lack off, so I feel like I'm reaching for the grips and my arms never seem to be able to relax!

That all being said, I've only had the bike back on the road for a week - did those that made the switch have any adjustment period? Especially the shorter folks (I'm 5'7")?

Are there any t-bars out there with a bit more pullback, in the crossbar not the riser? Wild1 says their 10" Psycho tbars have 8" pull back, much closer to the stock 10" than WCTs 3.5, does anyone ride those?
If you went with the 10" tbars you could try a 2" spacer between the bars and top tree. Because of the rake in the front end, the higher you go with tbars, the closer they get to you. I know exactly what your talking about as far as reaching. I've had 10" tbars for a few years now and I'm thinking of switching to risers with pro tapers or sporty bars to get a little more height and pullback. Possibly pullback risers because I dig how the gauges look when they stand straight up. Anyway you should have enough cable length to go up another 2" with those spacers, it's the cheapest way to find out if taller bars will help your issue

Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master

Not a bad idea, thanks...

A quick blast at trigonometry later and it looks like 2" extra rise will bring my fists back an inch... I think two would be better but i couldn't manage 14s!

Originally Posted by monster715
If you went with the 10" tbars you could try a 2" spacer between the bars and top tree. Because of the rake in the front end, the higher you go with tbars, the closer they get to you. I know exactly what your talking about as far as reaching. I've had 10" tbars for a few years now and I'm thinking of switching to risers with pro tapers or sporty bars to get a little more height and pullback. Possibly pullback risers because I dig how the gauges look when they stand straight up. Anyway you should have enough cable length to go up another 2" with those spacers, it's the cheapest way to find out if taller bars will help your issue

Old 05-08-2014, 12:53 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master

a buddy and me managed to grab some pieces of pipe that were about 1.5" and mocked up a riser extension situation and I think it'll work... I was stationary but it felt like quite a big difference in my arms, like an actual bend in my elbow!!!

Gonna order 2" extensions from Wild1s and see what happens

thanks for the tip, was getting a bit worried last night

Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 AM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by iDodgimus
a buddy and me managed to grab some pieces of pipe that were about 1.5" and mocked up a riser extension situation and I think it'll work... I was stationary but it felt like quite a big difference in my arms, like an actual bend in my elbow!!!

Gonna order 2" extensions from Wild1s and see what happens

thanks for the tip, was getting a bit worried last night
Keep us posted! Even with the extensions it's probably still going to take some getting used to

Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

my buddy has the 14" mx tbars and they are too wide for me but the extra height will bring the grips closer to you..

Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gadianton3
I just put on some WCMX-tbars this weekend. I'm about your same size. But my bike is a '12 SB with the integrated riser POS! I also love the feel as far as how I sit. Only thing I find uncomfortable is the vibration! Of course yours have bushings so you might not have that problem? I was looking @ getting the vibronators. Anyone know if they fit into WCTBars?
you can pull off a grip and fill the bars wtih "stuff" it is the expandable foam stuff, works great!!! but you will not be able to internal wire them if you need to. CHeap solution to bar vibes

Quick Reply: westcoast mx t-bars - change them or give them time?