Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many Switchback owners have not had vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 PM
USAF Retired
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many Switchback owners have not had vibration issues

Just wanting to know percentages. I am bike shopping and was looking at softails and someone told me the description of what I wanted sounded like a Switchback. Basically something that can cruise around town easily and and can have the accessories added for a 1000 mile trip comfortably. Already test rode a Heritage and am looking at riding the Switchback next. BTW, I am about 65", 30" inseam, and weigh about 185. Thinking it might be better than buying a tour bike. I just have a hard time buying something new that I would have to immediately mod.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM
MainelyScott
Intermediate

I haven't had any vibration issues with mine, I did have a front brake that was way too squishy but the dealer replaced the whole master cylinder. Love the bike, wife rides with me sometimes too. I'm about 5'9 and 160 lbs. Bought new last year and have about 4000 miles on it now.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Chinashop bull
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know the answer as to how many, but mines 18 months old with 30,000 vibration free miles.

Because the Dyna motor does not have an internal counterbalancer it relies on rubber mounting the engine to the frame to isolate vibrations. Some Dyna owners (not just Switchback owners) have reported a vibration issue which is often corrected by re-torquing the engine mounts, or by replacing mounts.

The other vibration issue is unique to the Switchback and is related to the mounting of the very long single muffler. This issue is easily fixed by a quick mod pioneered by one of our forum members. It's a quick fix that takes about 1/2 hour and costs about $2.00.

No Switchback with aftermarket pipes has this issue.

To sum up. You chance of getting a Switchback with the motor mount vibe issue are the same as for any other Dyna. If you do end up with the exhaust related vibe, it can be remedied by fitting an aftermarket exhaust or it's a 1/2 hr fix.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

you need to ride one and see if it is comfortable..

vibration wise I had it, they performed the TSB
and then I did the clevis pin mod no more vibrations

Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 PM
ringofld
Tourer

12,000 miles
No problem

Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 PM
frontporchblues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I have the motor vibration issue, but do believe I have a bit of vibration caused by the exhaust around 2500-3000 rpm(not bad though)... If I accelerate a bit quicker, I move right through it... that said... I am having the night stick installed while my bike is in for service... should be interesting to see what its like when I get it back... I can say that the switchback for me handles great!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 AM
heavyd1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a little vib, but nothing to complain about really, about the same as my low rider. I did the clevis pin dix for 6.16 and 15 minutes, it's a nimble and quick bike, I am liking mine.

USAF retire next Jan

Old 05-09-2014, 10:59 AM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frontporchblues
I don't think I have the motor vibration issue, but do believe I have a bit of vibration caused by the exhaust around 2500-3000 rpm(not bad though)... If I accelerate a bit quicker, I move right through it... that said... I am having the night stick installed while my bike is in for service... should be interesting to see what its like when I get it back... I can say that the switchback for me handles great!
Please post if you think the new muffler made a difference. I still have the stocker as I don't like noise, but the clevis pin mod only marginally helped with the vibes and the T.S.B. at the dealer didn't do sh*t.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:47 PM
USAF Retired
Novice

Test rode the Switchback today. I think I need to go to the dentist and have my fillings put back in. I hit the sweet spot for vibration and it was literally blurring my vision. I know there is a clovis pin fix, but just have a hard time dropping money on something that needs to be repaired off of the showroom floor. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF Retired
Test rode the Switchback today. I think I need to go to the dentist and have my fillings put back in. I hit the sweet spot for vibration and it was literally blurring my vision. I know there is a clovis pin fix, but just have a hard time dropping money on something that needs to be repaired off of the showroom floor. Thanks for the input.
LOLOLOLOL if you cant afford to spend $5 then you dont need to buy a harley.. you do know that HD stands for HUNDRED a DAY dont you??

Quick Reply: How many Switchback owners have not had vibration issues