Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads ported first ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM
luckydude
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads ported first ???

Currently own a 2007 FXD, Vance & Hines pipes, SE heavy breather. Live outside of the country so only get to ride on vacations. Not a hole shot rider but do enjoy roll on's. Riding is usually 1500 mile week jaunts. What's the general opinion of having an S&S porting job done next, along with a tune up? Would love to have a big bore kit installed but am going to wait on that for now. Input welcomed.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I wouldn't get heads done by S&S......they make great parts but there are lot better shops out there that specialize in doing this.

Also don't port heads w/o any other engine work. Sounds like just a nice cam upgrade would suite you fine.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

bobber is correct all depends what you are looking for as far as performance and power. try to find a cam that works with your compression that you have now.jumping up to big u will have to remove heads and have them set for the correct compression for those cams. andrews 48 would slide in there nice and would give you nice increase of performance.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Like Bobber said, cams is what would make you happy.
If you are going to do heads, wait until you can do it all at once.
Even changing cams at the present would only be a temporary solution.
You most likely would not use the upgraded cam after doing head work and Big bore.
I would suggest a lower gearing first. you'll be surprised what that will do.
Cams and a gearing change I think you will be very impressed.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heads are one of the most expensive parts of building a motor and doing them with stock cams seems foolish to me. The idea behind headwork is more air flow / velocity and stock cams won't be able to take advantage of that. A good example of cost/benefit would be the Fuel Moto 107'' kit. It comes with everything you need for $1200 and will give you significantly more than stock HP, no headwork needed. While you could spend that same $1200 on headwork for your otherwise stock engine and see very little improvement in outright performance. Other companies offer similar kits for similar money, I was just using them as an example. Save your pennies and do it all at once, that's what I did.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:43 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Headwork is one of the best mods one can do for their motor but not a stock motor. I would wait and do everything at 1 time. If you get a cam now then do a big bore later you are just going to need another cam. Don't forget to have them flowed too and if your do a big bore you will also swap out stock valves for new and bigger valves and springs. I just did my SE heads and should be on the road by Friday and after that, a dyno so I should have some numbers soon.