Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna - SG to Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 PM
LadyRiderCoach
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna - SG to Street Bob

Hi

I am very independant and like it that way. I have a 2012 SG. I have legend air and every fantastic accessory on it that can be dreamt. it is lovely. But nothing can change the fact that it is a heavy bike for a Lady who is 5"4 and 120 lbs.

On every trip that I have taken, I need somebody to push my shoulder to get the heavy bike off of its kick stand. Sometimes, I am not able to back it up. Sometimes, the reach to the kick stand is too long, and the bike tips over.

Those "sometimes" make the journey more stressful than it is needed. I love the SG. When I see a SG, i am turning my head to look at it as it makes it way past my line of vision. It is a splendid machine, with a bad *** raw attitutde.

I live on Vancouve Island. To get on/off, I have to take a ferry. Its no problem, I have done it many times. But to get here to there, especially as a solo rider, it can be awkward. When the SG is in motion, those twisties and mountain passes are no trouble. But, when it is fully loaded, resting quietly on its stand, OMG.

I have been thinking of trading in my baby for a Dyna Street Bob. I dont want anything "nice" and "sweet". I want a dyna. I like the switchback, but feel the Street Bob is more up my alley.

But, I don't know this for sure. I won't know this, until I cut loose my SG and own a Street Bob. I'll either rejoice and dance in glee, or sob in my misery.

Any riders of Street Bobs? Anybody given up a beloved SG for something a bit smaller?

I used to ride a Trike, and I didn't like it at all. Too much energy to get it to turn, and way to hard to keep it in the lines at any speed, and it hydroplaned terribly. The Softail Custom, I liked. But, I traded it for the SG.

I love the SG. Just not the weight of it - when it is standing still.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you'll find much weight difference in the weight of the 2 bikes. They are both still Dynas.

My SB 650ish. IIRC.

My REAL Superglide FXR, is less than 550... If I don't sell it, I'll get in under 500 I think. Smaller, the size of a Sporty, and ore nimble than a Dyna.

I can see your stuck on the Dyna, which is great. It IS a good platform.

Maybe hit up a dealer, and see about getting on and off a few different bikes a couple times, see what you're comfortable with.

Good luck,
Chase

Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

I like my Street Bob a lot. I do all kinds of riding on it including touring. I've toured up to 800 miles in a day and been very happy with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

One other thing: Here on the Dyna forum when you say SG, people take it to mean "Superglide." After all, Harley Davidson SG has meant Superglide for 43 years. The touring riders started using "SG" only 8 years ago.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:17 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Chase,
She's referring to a Street Glide when she wrote SG, not Superglide.

LadyRider,
The SG is definitely heavier, and more importantly heavier feeling when on the stand.

I love my Street a Bob, and no, I've never owned a touring bike (I've ridden many.). It handles great, has good power and is easy to manage at slow speeds. What it doesn't have is all the frills and storage space if the Street Glide.

I think you would definitely find it easier to manage.

At the end of the day, you'll need to determine whether you can live without the creature comforts or not.

Keep in mind, you can always add things like bags and fairings. The integration of a ready-made touring bike will always be cleaner, but it comes with the weight.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:27 PM
jjtroutbum
Tourer

No need to cry about making a wrong decision. Just don't make one. Have you ridden a SB yet? Love mine, not old enough for a the couch quite yet so no baggers to compare for me yet.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
Chase, She's referring to a Street Glide when she wrote SG, not Superglide.
Ah. Okay. I'm on mobile app, so, no sigs or anything. Besides, I read "Dyna-SG" to mean just that, Dyna Superglide.

Well then, yes, the Bob is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the Glide.

I still say, at 5'4", go stand a few bikes up, and make sure YOU are comfortable.

Good luck.

Chase

Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While your looking at the SB, take a look at the FatBob. I have a SB but I wish sometimes I would have bought the FatBob. You will want to order one with mids. I have never seen one on the dealer floor with mids on. They all have forwards. I can barely reach the pegs & I'm 5'8". I do like my SB but think the FB handles better.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 AM
LadyRiderCoach
Advanced

HI. Sorry about that, yes I meant Street Glide. Sorry of the confusion. I love the look, in photos, of folks on a raw bike, tying a bag on, and a sleeping bag and hitting the road. And being able, knowing, that they can get that bike on/off the stand anytime and anywhere. I tried the Switchback, and it very cool, and easy to manage in round-a-bouts and such. It just felt, looked like a little smaller touring bike, and the luggage bags are not so big. Leather bags would give more space. I tried the Street Bob, and it just weaved here and there and had a raw simple feel. Something akin to just throwing a sleeping bag on it, and heading for the open road.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 AM
mtnbkr62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I truly love my Street Bob, and I was seriously leaning towards a Street Glide when I sat and rode the Street Bob it just felt right for me, but YMMV, My wife who is 5'2" is able to get the SB off the stand and can also balance it. As you can see I added Bags to mine, Like you I saw the switchback had no room.

JR

Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

I must be missing something here but it seems to me you should be looking at that new Low Rider model, you like some bling on your bike and the SB isn't much on that compared to the LR.
It's got lots of chrome, dual disc's up front, cool seating position with the fancy seat it's got.

Those are sharp and cool!

Quick Reply: Dyna - SG to Street Bob