Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble reassembling wiring conectors ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Bbbadboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble reassembling wiring conectors ??

So my new Outlawz are bolted on wires are run thru bars. I used a dog tag style ball chain to pull the wires thru. That makes it so easy. Just feed the chain in the top shake it around and the chain rolls out the bottom. "But" 3 hours later trying to put the pins back in the plugs. They seem like they clicked in. But 8 pin connector now won't lock together. Male to female. Needs another .125" to go. Now I'm seeing on the left side of bike. 4 out of 8 pins are shorter and move in and out the other 4 are locked all the way in and longer with no movement . I must have 4 of them pushed in up side down. But which ones ? Right side throttle side plug won't lock together either. When I took them a part it showed taking needle nose pliers and pulling the inside of plug so pins became very short. Now it won't move in or out. Then using a paper clip to release wire clips. Wtf.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

By trying to save less than $20 using a paper clip instead of the correct removal tool, you have probably damaged the connector body and now the contacts cannot lock into place.

Last edited by skinman13; 05-09-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

The pins HD uses are a pain in the *** - go to the dealer, get new pins, new connector, the proper tool and do it right - it will save you so much time and aggravation down the road...seriously

Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

paper clip sucks, you want to use a T pin, shave the point off, same exact thing as the $20 tool... also make sure you are putting the pins in the correct way when you install them into the plug

Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Elemental13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you did not bend the pins if they are the flat blade style connector terminals just look at the femal side of the connector and find out which side the spring pArt of the terminal is and make sure you did not flip them over, if that's good then check and make sure you did not pull the too far through past the lock because that will cause the same problem. If they are the round " bullet" terminals make sure they are seated correctly they are very easy to pull too far through and also make sure you have the pin in. The correct location because if you have a pin in a bare hole with a sealed plug on the femal connector it will not let it seat either hope this helps you out. Next time you do any connector work you need to get the release tools it will save the pain and hassle. I use a snapon set of general release tools that work for spefic connectors if that helps at all

Old 05-09-2014, 05:37 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Paper clips, jewelers screwdrivers, hair pins, T pins...these are just not made to remove tab lock contacts from electrical connectors, and unless you know exactly how that particular connector body holds the lock tab in place, you cannot modify these to work without doing some damage the connector body. You may get away with it once or twice but Murphy will get the last laugh on you eventually.

The lock in the connector is polymer plastic or nylon or whatever composite material they made that particular connector plug out of...the correct tool is purposely designed to retract the tab on the contact without deforming or damaging the connector lock. Using anything else, even a T pin, is asking for trouble if not now, then later when you are in the boonies some dark night out of cell phone range...Murphy said so.

Your connector body is damaged and those pins will never lock in securely. Get another connector and the correct tool and do it right...or take your chances with Murphy.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Bbbadboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I don't think I've damaged anything yet. Although I did want to throw something. I thinking I just need to start over. Figure out which ones are in backwards. Its one of those things to do when I'm more rested.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 AM
malomj07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same exact problem last week while finishing up reassembly of my bike.

When I put the wires back into the plug, the secondary lock (white part that was pulled out with a needle nose) was not seated all the way in the plug body. The wires are now holding it from moving around at all, and it is bottoming out when you try to plug it back in.

I had to take the wires back out, then you will be able to set the secondary lock much deeper in the plug body. Keep pressure on it to hold it fully-seated while reinserting the wires and you should be ready to rock.

Sometimes this can happen if a wire is put into the plug the wrong way, bent, etc. Usually requires disassembly in any case.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Bbbadboy
Thanks guys. I don't think I've damaged anything yet. Although I did want to throw something. I thinking I just need to start over. Figure out which ones are in backwards. Its one of those things to do when I'm more rested.
This image might help...