Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Super Glide problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Jeepin79
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 Super Glide problem

My nephew just bought his bike today. It's got 10k on it. I test rode it and everything felt great. We rode a couple hundred miles with no issues at all until this evening. The bike will go into any gear and the clutch feel totally normal but when I let the clutch out the bike does not move. It did not do anything out of the norm. When it's in gear and not running I noticed it would roll even when the clutch is not pulled. No weird sounds or anything strange. Anyone have any thoughts of what it could be? I can put the bike in any gear it just won't move. We were lucky this happened right near a friends house so we left it in his garage for the night. I am hoping the clutch is not fried but I have a felling that's what it might be. If so anyone have any idea how much it costs to replace?

Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 AM
davidearlcox
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepin79
My nephew just bought his bike today. It's got 10k on it. I test rode it and everything felt great. We rode a couple hundred miles with no issues at all until this evening. The bike will go into any gear and the clutch feel totally normal but when I let the clutch out the bike does not move. It did not do anything out of the norm. When it's in gear and not running I noticed it would roll even when the clutch is not pulled. No weird sounds or anything strange. Anyone have any thoughts of what it could be? I can put the bike in any gear it just won't move. We were lucky this happened right near a friends house so we left it in his garage for the night. I am hoping the clutch is not fried but I have a felling that's what it might be. If so anyone have any idea how much it costs to replace?
May have a broken final drive belt.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

At 10k the clutch is not fried and the drive belt is not broken.

Start with the clutch cable and work down to the ramp, and bearing jumping a detente. A bit of a chore to fix but not too bad.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Double tap...

Last edited by Jonesee; 05-11-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 AM
davidearlcox
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Possible rear pulley bolts sheared. If the wheel and/or pulley has been replaced, been seeing reports of the bolts backing out of the rear wheel.

If the bike running well, apparently shifting into gears and clutch lever feeling normal, the belt and pulley bolts are the two things I can think of to cause a sudden loss of drive that would be easily checked before breaking out wrenches.

Last edited by davidearlcox; 05-11-2014 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Add clutch lever feels normal on original post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by davidearlcox
May have a broken final drive belt.
I was thinking this was most likely also...

IF I were certain that the clutch lever pull felt normal like you said, I would pull the derby and clutch release cover just to make sure the clutch was working..20 minutes max if you are a slow plodding mechanic like me....if that looks good, drain the oil and off with the primary cover to check the belt and drive train.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,481 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Check the easy stuff first (drive belt and rear sprocket bolts), then:

Remove the derby cover, loosen the locknut on the clutch adjuster and back the adjuster stud out, your clutch should now be fully engaged.

Put it in gear and try to roll the bike. If you can`t roll the bike, good news; it probably just needs a proper clutch adjustment.

If the bike rolls:

If you see only the inner clutch hub rotating when you roll the bike, it means the clutch is slipping.

If the inner clutch hub does not rotate when you roll the bike, it could be the inner clutch hub splines, or the front pulley splines (a retaining nut coming loose would be the cause).

If the entire clutch assembly rotates, the compensator is probably loose.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-11-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Jeepin79
Road Master

I did check the final drive belt and it was fine. I could not do much more since we were in a dark area and I had no tools. I fell bad because my nephew is 20 years old and this is his first bike. I figured if it was the clutch the lever would have felt spongy or somehow different than normal.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:47 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pop the derby cover and check that the clutch adjusting lock nut isn't loose, it may be and perhaps a adjusting the clutch as per the service manual is all it needs...

Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Jeepin79
Road Master

The other thing I did not mention is that the bike has been sitting for almost a year so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am going to go take a look at it in the next few days and I will pull the derby cover off and take a look. Hopefully it won't be an expensive fix if I wind up having him take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: 2007 Super Glide problem