Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my plan to put a 180 tire on an older dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:10 AM
mr_natural78
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my plan to put a 180 tire on an older dyna

I'm looking to squeeze a 180 rear tire into my 2000 super glide sport that currently has a 150. I run the Dunlop gt 502 on the rear now. They make this tire in a 180 for 17 x 4.5 wheels. I know the deuce has a 17 x 4.5 wheel that uses the same 3/4 wheel bearings as my dyna. I've found a couple theads where people have done this swap. I'm also interested in the 06 and 07 dyna cast 10 spoke wheels that use 1" axles. They are also 17 x 4.5. I believe I could swap bearings and buy an inner spacer to get this to fit. I may even need to get an inner spacer made. I would possibly have to play with wheel spacers and machine the caliper mount. I don't know hub widths for these wheels but I believe either will work. Probably not a direct swap...but with some fabrication they should work. I'd prefer to run the cast dyna 10 spoke rear wheel as it more closely resembles my stock 13 spoke cast FXDX wheels which I will continue to run on the front. If I powder coated them both all black then I think they'd match up nice...especially since so much of the rear wheel is covered by the rotor and pulley/sprocket. I know I need to go to a wider fender and probably do a chain conversion. Has anyone put either of these wheels on an early dyna? Anyone know of any other options? Preferable Harley wheels that could be had used on ebay. I won't rule out aftermarket wheels either. I just don't want to spend 1000 bucks on a wheel. At least not right away. Maybe down the road once it's completed I would switch both wheels to aftermarket.
I've believe the plan is going to be to spread the fender struts by heating and using a bottle jack...or more likely cut and re-weld. That seems a better option. I'm looking for any insight anyone can give. I also believe I will have a body shop split my fender and weld in a 1" strip to put me at 8 1/4" wide. That should keep the radius of the fender the same and new holes could be drilled in the center for seat mounting so my existing seats should still work. I'd also have to extend the lower rear shock mounting point out a half inch on each side along with the struts. Most likely by welding a spacer onto the tab and gusseting the bottom of the spacer for strength. It looks like a chain conversion will be needed and I can run my current swing arm. I would need an offset front sprocket to space the chain out and then possibly a spacer for the rear sprocket as well. Those alignment issues will depend on the rear wheel used and the wheels hub width. I won't be able to figure that out until I mock it up. Right now I'm running a dunlop gt502 rear that is a 150 and fits my 16" rear wheel. They make this tire in a 180 that is recommended for a 17x4.5 wheel. I will run that. Anyone have any insight? see anything I'm missing?

Last edited by mr_natural78; 05-14-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:19 AM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to have the bases covered and things pretty well thought out. One question - why restrict yourself to the 4.5 tire? AFAIK, the 502 is the only one. Since you're doing the whole enchilada, why not set up for a 5.5" rim? More tire choices and a Buell rear rim gives the same spoked look.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run the ten spoke with your current rear bearing part number.

I'm in the process of building an 89 softail with a set of ten spokes from an 08. The 2000-? Dyna and Softails With a 3/4" axle sealed bearings have a bearing O.D. of 53mm as well as the ten spokes. I did however have to make a new spacer with the 3/4" I.D. to replace the 25mm spacer.

The Dunlop 502 180 on the ten spoke measures 170 with a caliper so your going to be 10mm less them your planning. On this same softail I have a 7 1/2" fender with normal 5/16" hex bolts and there is an 1/8" clearance between the bolts and the tire.

Before you go stretching frame struts take off the rear fender and take some measurements of what you have to work with. You may be able to get away with some shaving on the inside of the struts without removing to much material that'll reduce strength. Then you can retain the factory shock mounting location. I have a 99 FXDX in the garage now that I can get some measurements off of if you need.

Last edited by Throttle_Jockey; 05-25-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a comment from the peanut gallery here but that sure soulds like a lot of trouble just to get to what, a D502 in there? All just to have the 180 "look"?

I thought the BEST Dunlop was the 591. Will a Shenko Hook Up drag tire squeeze in there. If you are going bigger, why and then at least go better on a FXDX.

(little brother '99 1200S here)

Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
mr_natural78
Tourer

Originally Posted by FASTFXD
You seem to have the bases covered and things pretty well thought out. One question - why restrict yourself to the 4.5 tire? AFAIK, the 502 is the only one. Since you're doing the whole enchilada, why not set up for a 5.5" rim? More tire choices and a Buell rear rim gives the same spoked look.
I had never thought of a quell rim. I've recently started looking into it and have found a few people who have put them on dynas. A 5.5 Rim opens many more tire choices.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 PM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. That's for sure. Check this install - http://www.*****************/forums/...treet-bob.html

Been looking at lighter wheels for years and dunno if I want to go with the perimeter brake set up, but like the Buell rear and something close enough for the front.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 AM
mr_natural78
Tourer

Originally Posted by FASTFXD
Yep. That's for sure. Check this install - http://www.*****************/forums/...treet-bob.html

Been looking at lighter wheels for years and dunno if I want to go with the perimeter brake set up, but like the Buell rear and something close enough for the front.
the link doesnt work. I'd love to do buell wheels front and back or do carbon fiber from aftermarket front and back. My problem with the front is I doubt I can get a buell front betweem my 39mm narrow glide. I'd love to do an inverted front end and carbon fiber wheels drom howard. that gets very pricey though. I guess if I found mid glide trees that work with my 39 mm adjustable fxdx forks i could get a better front wheel and tire in there and wouldnt be a bad set up.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buell wheel will fit a narrow 39mm.