Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering damper recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM
VoiceofReason44
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Steering damper recommendation

When hit near 100mph on my FXDB, I get that dreaded wobble and it increases in intensity as the speed increases. Looking into a streering damper. Any recommendations? Yeah, I know 100 is dumb.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:05 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been fighting the same thing since I bought my '12 FXDB. A couple things I've experienced might help you? Check your tire pressure! Easiest thing to do but often gets overlooked. If they are off a few lbs you will get the death wobble. Tighten up your Rear shocks. Yeah it makes for a stiffer ride but sport bikes are stiff to and you are going as fast as they are but with a bike that weighs twice as much. Make sure that the rears are tightened exactly the same stiffness. That is very important. You need to be as symmetrical as possible. Your bike actually weighs more in the left side because of the primary & single disk brake. I bought the sputhe system, that definitely helped. I put heavy fork oil in, that helped. A couple weeks ago I put on tbars. That seems to be it. Those stock apes twist & flex & throw the bike in to a wobble. ( My theory anyway). Good luck. I don't know what thee solution is but try the free stuff first.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

damper is not what you need to fix this. buffering is what you are going though and it would be your bike setup. never the less i would recomend a storz damper... they are a bit $$$ but they are completely rebuildable, i am running a 20 click on my dyna. you need to check your fall away, alignment, and wheel alignment first. the damper will improve the ride and handling but it will not correct buffering alone.

here is my black powder coated storz damper

Last edited by JRK5892; 05-16-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:17 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the Storz steering damper. Well made. That's what I've had on my FXDL for a bunch of years. Installation is easy and you can reach the adjuster at the end of the rod to make adjustments when riding.

Another quality option is the Ohlins double barrel damper which installs horizontally if you prefer a more stealthy look.

Joe, just curious, didn't you used to ride one of the $100 dampers found on ebay? Do you find the Storz damper to be superior?

Originally Posted by JRK5892
damper is not what you need to fix this. buffering is what you are going though and it would be your bike setup. never the less i would recomend a storz damper... they are a bit $$$ but they are completely rebuildable, i am running a 20 click on my dyna. you need to check your fall away, alignment, and wheel alignment first. the damper will improve the ride and handling but it will not correct buffering alone.

here is my black powder coated storz damper