Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propipe to trans mounting issues??? Vibration issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Propipe to trans mounting issues??? Vibration issues?

I've been busy as hell lately, and haven't had a chance to even look at my bike until yesterday. So, yesterday while troubleshooting and electrical gremlin. I looked st the mounts for the exhaust..... And found it just riding on 1 bolt. That is it. Hmmm... Shook the pipe, and all seems fine. Grabbed to 5/16x1.5" bolts today, and a spacer to cut down. Found the lower bolt broke off in the trans case, and the middle bolt appears to have stripped or wallowed out the trans case.

So.... WTF? If the vibration is that bad with the length of the pipe. A helicoil won't be a reliable repair, a time-SERT may or may not be, and getting the broken bolt out is going to be a nightmare, if I even can. I may have to take the case to a machine shop, and have it done.

Any thoughts? If I'm going to ride this year, think I'm going to have to get my FXR back together sooner than I planned,

Upper mount with missing bolt and spacer, those threads appear okay.

This one I have the bolt, but, the hole is is wrecked. No threads. Just spins. Can't get a clear view down there... But....

And the final, is the lower rear case bolt... Broke off in the case... Really? WTF?

Chase

Old 05-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The middle one I would tap next size up or metric...whichever is the minimum you can get away with.

The broken off one may be a bitch. You could always try it with the top two and see if you can get through the season.

You could also make a short brace to use abother bolt location...you will have to look at it and see if thats feasible.

By the way, what exhaust is this? Several ones I have had to take that bracket and hog it out around the cover. Maybe yours was actually hitting the cover and the bolts may have seemed tight? Something to look into maybe.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:54 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why does the bolt look like a allen?

You have enough sticking out that it might not that bad.
If you not comfortable removing it I would suggest taking it to a machine shop.
If you mess it up too bad they may have a problem getting it out. Get a food set of ease outs. You will need a very good drill bit, I would use a diamond bit.
No need to pull the engine just trailer the bike there.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:04 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Sounds like over tightening of the bolts - did you install or the dealership?

Hope you can get it out using some of the other posters suggestions - when you reinstall - loctite and proper torque

Old 05-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Chasespeed
Tourer

Dobber, it's the open hole BELOW the Allen bolt.

I installed it. Even rechecked it. I have a slight rub at the leading edge of the bracket, but, nothing hard.

I'll remove the exhaust the rest of the way,, the clutch release cover, and the bearing plate.

If I have enough material to work with, I'll retap. I have no idea how much material is there. Ill go from there.

Hey, I've been doing this since before I could ride them...but, hey, I'm not infallible. If I missed something, or caused it due to error, or grinding the pipe on the pavement, fine. I just need to KNOW. But, I have also not seen a failure like this. The more I've cooled down, and thought about it, I have come up with a few ideas... But, I just don't know.

Thanks,
Chase

Old 05-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chasespeed
Dobber, it's the open hole BELOW the Allen bolt.

I installed it. Even rechecked it. I have a slight rub at the leading edge of the bracket, but, nothing hard.

I'll remove the exhaust the rest of the way,, the clutch release cover, and the bearing plate.

If I have enough material to work with, I'll retap. I have no idea how much material is there. Ill go from there.

Hey, I've been doing this since before I could ride them...but, hey, I'm not infallible. If I missed something, or caused it due to error, or grinding the pipe on the pavement, fine. I just need to KNOW. But, I have also not seen a failure like this. The more I've cooled down, and thought about it, I have come up with a few ideas... But, I just don't know.

Thanks,
Chase
I would definitely trim that piece especially since you will have it apart. had a few that were pretty close to the bottom of the cover or near the swingarm pivot.

I bet it was put together right and for some reason you lost one of the bolts.

Once that happened, probably the vibes, etc. worked on the rest...it happens.

Good thing is it sounds like you can handle the repairs.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Chasespeed
Tourer

I'm really starting to wonder....

Pulled the release cover off,and found this...

It was leaking, but I just assumed it was leaking past the oring.... Guess not....

Here you can see where the 2 bolts for the side cover/bearing plate/side door.....

And it isn't getting torn off right now... I need to get my primary lock from my Dads house. I really miss the trap door of the XLs.

There is also some galling on the mating surface, and pry point. Someone has either removed this, or tried to..... Oh the joys...

The threads for the release cover look... Powdery...... Oh joy....

I'm 50/50 cutting my losses on the trans, and buying a complete unit... Or, taking a chance.

Chase

Old 05-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

I guess you are planning on pulling the primary, pulley, etc off in hopes of grabbing the piece of bolt?

Been there, done that!

If you want some insight, I have a thread when I replaced my mainshaft bearing...which you will be doing. Order up the Baker IPB too!
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-upgrades.html

Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM
zencaptain
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did that and I only had Rush slip ons. The dealer replaced the tranny case under warranty. I'm surprised there isn't some kind of isolator for the exhaust.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:32 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

more than likely the problem started after the bolts began working their way loose. My indy cautioned me about keeping an eye mine after welding up my broken exhaust mount. Those, the final drive pulley and exhaust manifold bolts are the 3 fasteners I check the most. Vibration plays havoc

Attached Thumbnails Propipe to trans mounting issues???  Vibration issues?-2-1-exhaust-mount.jpg  

Last edited by ynots; 05-18-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Propipe to trans mounting issues??? Vibration issues?