Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polyurethane riser bushings...increased vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 PM
vern58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane riser bushings...increased vibration?

Replaced my stock riser bushings on the WG today and noticed a immediate reduction in handlebar vibration at idle, but considerably more vibration on the grips going down the road. For the first time since I bought the bike in 2012 the risers are now tight to the triple tree but the vibration in the grips during riding has definitely increased. Anybody else notice this after swapping factory bushings out?

Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I swapped mine out to poly a few months ago - I noted less vibrations across the board.....

Old 05-17-2014, 07:44 PM
h2o
Road Captain

Definitely decreased vibration all the way around for me.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 PM
roadblock1
Intermediate

About to switch my handlebars out. Not sure if the previous owner switched the bushings to polyurethane or not, will I be able to notice?
Also, which poly bushings are the best to get?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 733 Likes on 504 Posts

I switched them out on my '08 UC but I didn't switch them out on my Dyna.

The Dyna is so easy to switch them out on, you can do it anytime, an UC is a little more involved with the fairing and whatnot.

But I don't know how urgent it is to do it on a Dyna. The rubber probably works alright, some say it actually absorbs more than the poly so, I'm not convinced it is a benefit. Maybe they last longer, well, as easy as they are to replace that's not a real issue.

I have a lower bar now, and different mirrors. OEM bushings and my mirrors have never been clearer!

My bottom line is I'm now not convinced the poly's are the beat all to end all.

That's just me and my most current results.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:14 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the rubber got so loose on min I had no choice but to change them. It got to the point where they moved when ever I turned the handlebars. Got a set from LA choppers and I don't feel any vibration and those handlebars are rock solid.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:37 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I switched them out on my '08 UC but I didn't switch them out on my Dyna.

The Dyna is so easy to switch them out on, you can do it anytime, an UC is a little more involved with the fairing and whatnot.

But I don't know how urgent it is to do it on a Dyna. The rubber probably works alright, some say it actually absorbs more than the poly so, I'm not convinced it is a benefit. Maybe they last longer, well, as easy as they are to replace that's not a real issue.

I have a lower bar now, and different mirrors. OEM bushings and my mirrors have never been clearer!

My bottom line is I'm now not convinced the poly's are the beat all to end all.

That's just me and my most current results.
Just wait til you're going down a straight road but your handlebars are turned right. You'll want new bushings. It not all about vibration. Its about keeping handlebars in place too.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 782 Posts

I am changing my risers on my FXDC. When I asked the parts guy with 25 years experience if I should go with poly bushings he said no unless I was going with taller bars. He said the stock rubber gives better vibration absorption but the poly gives much more stiffness and feedback.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a set of poly bushings in after I put my 2" riser spacers on. It helped tighten up the bars. As far as vibration, I would say about the same, maybe a little less.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:05 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

I put in poly bushings when I went to mini apes. I notice a bit of vibration around 2000 rpm beyond that smoother and tighter than rubber bushings. I used HD poly bushing for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: Polyurethane riser bushings...increased vibration?