Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wards Cooling Fans for my Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:42 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Wards Cooling Fans for my Fat Bob

Don't seem to hear a lot about these fans here in the Dyna area although the baggers use them a bunch. I live in the North Texas area and the summer heat is really tough to deal with and the biggest problem is when you are stopped or just going slow, traffic light to traffic light. So I decided on the Wards Fans because they help when it really counts - when there is little to no airflow, plus I have the True Track stabilizers installed which hinders a lot of the oil coolers. Here is what came in the mail in about 4 days after ordering:

Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

I opted for the optional thermostat that can be seen in the upper portion of the above picture. The thermal switch keeps the fans off until CHT reaches ~ 200 degrees then cycles on and off to keep CHT in check.

Everybody likes to talk about how easy they are to install but to do it with a professional look took me a couple of hours. Most of my time was spent deciding how to route the wires and connections so they are mostly out of sight and not touching the cylinder heads. It is not a complicated install, just a little time consuming to make it look nice.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 06-18-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:08 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Today I was able to take a short ride to check out the fans. It would probably help when you ride off to flip the switch in the up position to activate the fans! Anyway after my bike had warmed up to about 230 degrees CHT and flipping the switch on, the fans started to go to work. I noticed that it is almost impossible to hear the fans with the engine running but I could carefully place a finger behind the fans and feel the airflow.

For me, the biggest challenge/test would be just idling at a stop. Normally my CHT just climbs and climbs when I come to a stop, but with the Wards fans the CHT just sat there and basically did not move at all - the first stop at 255 degrees and the second stop at 259 degrees. Both times I just sat there for about 3 - 4 minutes, never have I ever seen that before.

To finish up, after turning my engine off in the garage, the fans cycled on and off about 5 times to keep cooling the engine - very nice, so far it is one of the best products I have installed.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It is an air cooled engine, air flow is the key. I am sure it helps on stop and go traffic. I never see myself carrying one of those on my SB lol. Have fun!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:19 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 128auto
It is an air cooled engine, air flow is the key. I am sure it helps on stop and go traffic. I never see myself carrying one of those on my SB lol. Have fun!
If I lived in Vancouver, I would not get them either - there are some downsides to being able to ride year round!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I am teasing you bud, I know how hot it is there lol. I am jelly you can ride all year round.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:29 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 128auto
I am teasing you bud, I know how hot it is there lol. I am jelly you can ride all year round.
Yeah I know, always enjoy "jawing" with ya!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good Info. It looks really good on the bike. Almost like it belongs on there.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it AM or FM...

Old 05-18-2014, 11:27 AM
case013
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should be getting plenty of use then. It's already hot here in La. Especially at the stop lights and in traffic. Had a burnt leg and scorched pants situation the other day myself.

Quick Reply: Wards Cooling Fans for my Fat Bob