Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bike won't start

I have a 2008 street bob and my bike has been fine until a couple of days ago. I noticed that the red "key" light on my speedometer was staying lit while I was riding. I drove it home thinking maybe the battery in my key fob was dead. After pulling into my garage I turned off the bike and then turned it back on, the "key" light came on then went off and the bike started fine. I turned it off and then today I started the bike and went to get gas and on the ride again noticed the "key" light (to right of odometer) was on. I filled up and went to start the bike, but got nothing. I tried again and noticed the "oil" light was lit, the lights on my kuryakyn fuel gauge were also lit, the fuel pump was priming, the neutral light was on, but my odometer was blank and no key light. Again nothing when I hit the start button. I pulled the dash and noticed nothing wrong with any of the wires, I checked the battery cables and nothing loose there. I could not bypass the security because the speedometer/odometer was dead. Ended up pushing the bike home. On the way there is a hill, I tried jumping it, and the bike turned over long enough to give it throttle once and then died. Again, nothing on restart attempt. I pushed it into the garage and hooked it up to the charger, that took near half a day to get to 80% charge! but still a dead odometer and nothing on start attempt. I changed the battery in the key fob, and still no change. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Is the battery "original" or have you previously swapped? Any recent mods that could've affected your electrical? Did you check plugs for spark when turning over?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The lights come on but no crank... it sounds like the alarm won't engage or disengage, but rather just hangs. I would suspect the kury dash wiring if it is a recent add.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Handlebars have been on for about a year and the kury has been on for about 4, no other electrical mods. And no recent work on the bike. Haven't checked the spark plugs for spark, but think the starter should still turn the bike over even without the plugs, just wouldn't start. I get nothing, not even a click. Oh and battery is about a year or old. Ride it every day, so no storage issues with battery either.

Last edited by bigmikaele; 05-18-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:58 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So either the alarm won't de-activate or your battery is cooked. But I lean to the former since yours seems to hold a charge. are you still at 80% after trying to crank it or does it fall to zero again?

Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Tomh1962
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you tried disconnecting the battery with the key in the run position... wait 5 minutes and turn key to off, and reconnect the battery... it could be a simple need to reboot the bikes computer...

Last edited by Tomh1962; 05-18-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 AM
betho61
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

had something similar to that happen to my previous bike last year (sportster) it end up being a broken ground wire down by the starter location.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:33 PM
BARKG004
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 dyna

If you have a no start on your efi Harley , here’s something that could save you months of headaches. My bike is 2008 but only has 1850 miles .there is a known issue of defective fuel line coupler by the gas tank. Put hand pressure on the fuel line upward to tank and see if it starts . Then let go and it stops . I tried replacing the o rings (3) and did not fix . The coupler has too much slop . Replace with improved coupler ., and fuel line next . I learned this by trial and error ! I’ve heard there are several revisions of the coupler , get the latest ! Amen .

The following users liked this post:
booyajj (01-28-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:14 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by BARKG004
If you have a no start on your efi Harley , here’s something that could save you months of headaches. My bike is 2008 but only has 1850 miles .there is a known issue of defective fuel line coupler by the gas tank. Put hand pressure on the fuel line upward to tank and see if it starts . Then let go and it stops . I tried replacing the o rings (3) and did not fix . The coupler has too much slop . Replace with improved coupler ., and fuel line next . I learned this by trial and error ! I’ve heard there are several revisions of the coupler , get the latest ! Amen .
While I'm a proponent of the gas tank coupler, I doubt it is an issue here as it sounds the the motor don't turn over. Assuming "but got nothing" means nothing.

While sounds the the battery went dead, the first thing I'd check is power and ground wire fastenings.. To the battery and motor. If ok check battery voltage with a DVM. should be above 12V with lights on. Bet it's low.. That that case it might be the charging system. "Headlight on" means the battery not totally dead.. Does it goe out when starter button pressed? If it's low the ECU probably shuts down..

Old 01-28-2023, 09:12 AM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 523 Likes on 246 Posts

Clean both ends of the battery cables and make sure they're tight when you reinstall them. Make sure the battery has 13 plus volts.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start