Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips for removing cams from camplate without using special tools?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any tips for removing cams from camplate without using special tools?

I bought a used camplate but I want to remove the cams to install used (newer) stock ones. The ones that came with the camplate look quite rusty. If I had a workshop I would consider a JIMS cam remover/press or whatever, but since I'm only doing this one time only (maybe 2-3 more max should I choose to upgrade cams in the future or something) I want to know if there's cheaper methods to get those cams off! I already removed the retainer clip in the rear...

This video looks spot on, but they still use some sort of press to remove the cams with bearings and all...go to minute 6:00 when they start applying heat with a torch to remove the cams and bearings...I tried the "best of Dyna threads" but they've all been removed. Any suggestions are welcome!

Oh, and something else: will I be able to reuse the bearings or will I have to replace them when putting in the other cams?

Old 05-19-2014, 05:28 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After trying several methods of cheating without a press such as heat and cooling, I was close to defeat and hauled myself to my local dealership as they opened one Saturday morning with the plate in one hand and the "new" cams in the other. They smiled, I bought the new bearings which you do need and they pressed out the old and in the new for me. When I asked how much they shrugged their shoulders and said "you paid for the bearings, right?". See if your local dealership is as nice as mine was.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:35 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

remove the clean out plug from the top of the cam plate and any other plastic bits * tensioner shoes* remove bearing retainer plate put cam plate in oven on 350º for about 20-30 minutes with the cams pointing up. after time has gone past the 20-30 min mark remove cam plate * with oven mits* turn cam plate upside down over a bunched up towel. cams and cam bearings should fall out at that point but if not a couple quick taps wit ha rubber mallet should assist them.

bearings are cheap replace them with new ones.

to replace bearigns in the cam plate use the same method of pre-heatign the camplate but freeze the bearings over night prior to install.
when you've got your cam plate heated up take your frozen bearigns and put them in, for the first 3-4 minutes the bearigns will slide in by hand once the temps equalize they will be as if you pressed them in so no movment at all

Last edited by NSCoyote; 05-19-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 PM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna try to press mine out too. But I quickly changed my mind and the Indy do it.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:11 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by NSCoyote

bearings are cheap replace them with new ones.
Thank you for the oven tip! I'll try that with the old camplate first to get the hang of it.

Replacing the bearings isn't a money problem as it is a distance problem. Ordering new ones will set me back another three weeks because I'll have to wait for them to get here. I don't think I'll find those bearings locally. (we have SKF bearing dealers here, maybe they might have equivalent bearings in stock)

Originally Posted by C.J
I was gonna try to press mine out too. But I quickly changed my mind and the Indy do it.
If all else fails, I might look for a machine shop to do it for me. No such things as ''Indies'' over here...

Originally Posted by asm481
See if your local dealership is as nice as mine was.
The ONLY dealer we have here SUCKS.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would give your dealer a shot, even if you hate them. They pressed mine out and in for free.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Northern50
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get new SKF bearings if you can. They are just a simple ball bearing, any decent parts rep should be able to cross them. What's the part number? I I have the books and can cross them tomorrow at work. If those cam plate bearings take a dump they take out the needle bearings then it goes down hill fast and you are back in the same situation.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by Northern50
Get new SKF bearings if you can. They are just a simple ball bearing, any decent parts rep should be able to cross them. What's the part number? I I have the books and can cross them tomorrow at work. If those cam plate bearings take a dump they take out the needle bearings then it goes down hill fast and you are back in the same situation.
Thank you for your help. Bearings are parts 5 & 6 in the diagram...the part numbers are:

part 5 - 8983
part 6 - 8990A

Is it ok if both bearings are of the same design? Because the stock design is one ball bearing and one needle bearing...

Old 05-20-2014, 04:39 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member

the front bearing *part number 6* is a ball bearing type, part number 5 the rear bearing is actully an assembly, the roller beasring the inner bearing race a rubber o-rin and a washer. the inner race is pressed on to the rear cam after the washer and orin are put on to the rear cam and it just drops into the roller bearing as you press the front cam in to the bearing

Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Northern50
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 6004 C3 is the Conrad (ball bearing) As NSC said the other bearing is a multi part bearing. I don't know the actual bearing number for that one, I looked at the old one I had in a box and it had no numbers on it.

The C3 on the 6004 bearing is the clearance. C3 is standard clearance.

Curious, are you putting new cams in? Now would be a time to throw a set of andrews 26's in. I like the set I put in my 88".

Quick Reply: Any tips for removing cams from camplate without using special tools?