Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why hard to find parts for old FXDWG??

Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why hard to find parts for old FXDWG??

Looking for a screaming eagle stage 1 breather for 02 WG on harley site and none for it. All 08 or after. Just wanted a plain Jane oval chrome cleaner.

Went to dealer today looking at seats. Had several on a demo rack to try. Asked salesman which ones would fit a WG and he says " none". Guy explains to me the wide glide is a rare bike ( what??.) and that there's no parts for them. First of all there's still many older style WG on the road and for sale all the time. I dunno what he means by rare?

So I'm learning that owning a old school wide glide is going to be a problem to accessorize evidently. All I wanted was a nice fat touring seat with a wide pad for the old lady. And a basic SE breather kit chrome....was 149 dollars I think and site says it won't fit a 02. Bummer.

Sat on a few softies, road kings, lectraglides.......still like my old school wide glide better.. So If finding parts will be a pain I'll just keep it the way it is and enjoy

Still don't get his comment " well it's a rare bike" wtf!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Yer parts guy is an idiot & HD don't cover much over a few years old.

1) For an SE-esque a/c, get a Ness Big Sucker & run what ever cover you want. I'm running their "stage 2", with the bigger filter, so I'm using HD's round "bobber" cover.

2) FXDWG seats are different than FXD/L, etc. seats in that they have a slightly longer seat. Guess HD figured with the slightly longer filter fender, it needed a longer seat. Not rare, just slightly different than the "regular" Dynas.

Last edited by Carl '69; 05-19-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not trying to be a smart *** but any seat for dyna from 1996 to 2004 will fit with proper back mounting tab and any carb air cleaner for twincam carbed bike will fit
mine is a 2001 dyna defender with a lot of parts swapping

Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are looking in the wrong place . Try e-bay ?
I bought a nice seat from J&P Cycle for my 03 WideGlide .
A lot of stuff out here just look in the right places .

Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 PM
dhweber1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
Looking for a screaming eagle stage 1 breather for 02 WG on harley site and none for it. All 08 or after. Just wanted a plain Jane oval chrome cleaner.

Went to dealer today looking at seats. Had several on a demo rack to try. Asked salesman which ones would fit a WG and he says " none". Guy explains to me the wide glide is a rare bike ( what??.) and that there's no parts for them. First of all there's still many older style WG on the road and for sale all the time. I dunno what he means by rare?

So I'm learning that owning a old school wide glide is going to be a problem to accessorize evidently. All I wanted was a nice fat touring seat with a wide pad for the old lady. And a basic SE breather kit chrome....was 149 dollars I think and site says it won't fit a 02. Bummer.

Sat on a few softies, road kings, lectraglides.......still like my old school wide glide better.. So If finding parts will be a pain I'll just keep it the way it is and enjoy

Still don't get his comment " well it's a rare bike" wtf!
Harley-Davidson is not the only source of seats for your bike. Check with LePara. Here is a link to their FXWDG seats for your model year. http://lepera.com/seat_pgs/v3_Dyna_WG_96_03_result.php
There are several other manufacturers that make seats that fit your bike such as Mustang, Corbin, etc. etc. etc.

You should also be able to purchase an aftermarket air cleaner kit. I believe that K&N makes one. You do not have a rare bike. It seems that Harley-Davidson is catering to newer bikes in their aftermarket sales. That is probably because there is a bigger market for parts for the newer bikes. Don't overlook the independent aftermarket. There are numerous venders and a lot of quality parts there.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...mber=51540-01A
I have the rear bracket if you need one also have a tuck and roll wide glide seat new that I never used

Old 05-20-2014, 04:46 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh I know I don't have a rare bike. Just sharing how silly it was. I'm very disappointed with my first trip to dealer to buy things. Only left with a set of spark plugs. This was Harley Davidson of Bowling Green, Ky.

Sonny daze.....i think I saw that seat on several used dynas at the dealer. I could probably live with that as long as old lady was comfortable. I'm pretty happy with stock seat but the passenger pad is to narrow and her tail bone gets to hurting. Anyway I think I saw a switchback and some supermglides with those seats on them. I'll save that link thanks.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 623 Likes on 288 Posts

Never had any problem finding parts for my 03,, and my wallet can attest to that!!

Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 AM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Find a parts and accessories catalog from the years your bike was made and see whats there. Most parts are still available. . It takes a little bit of work finding what you call old parts. I'm still finding shovelhead parts on dealers shelves.
WUZFUZ

Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 AM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if your 02 WG is rare then that means that my 99 is a dinosaur. LOL! HD stealerships are the worst place to find FXDWG parts.

We just put a Corbin Dual Tour seat on our WG. It is an awesome riding seat. I ordered mine over the phone after prowling their web site for a couple hours to decide exactly what I wanted. The OL loves the seat as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why hard to find parts for old FXDWG??