Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Backfire on Decel W/ De-Catted Head Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM
riderboy1961
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help - Backfire on Decel W/ De-Catted Head Pipe

Please Help;
I purchased a De Catted head pipe for my 2014 Dyna Wide Glide. Installed it and I cut the stock baffles to 6" long which got rid of that plug going down the center of it, then re-installed the baffles. I installed the FL ViED 10 for fuel management adjustment.
After everything installed I have Backfire on Decel "All The Time". I adjusted the FL ViED 10 to all the different settings... nothing changed. I pulled the pipe, put new head pipe gaskets in... still no change. I read on here that my problem is probably head pipe leaking at the Head connection BUT, no, not on mine, there is no leak there. I do not want to spend any more $$ on more expensive fuel management systems. I am using the Stock Air Filter but, I have cut off all the backing plate that is not needed and reinstalled That. I put a Air Cleaner Cover on it from a bagger that has the Ram Air Opening in the front of it so now the Fuel Injection is getting a lot more air than stock.
Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I can do with What I Have to get rid of the Backfire on Deceleration? I don't want to damage the valves with cold air on decal.
I currently have re installed the stock head pipe. I am wondering if getting a Free Flowing K&N Air Filter might be the answer?
Thanks!!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decel popping..............

Originally Posted by riderboy1961
Please Help;
I purchased a De Catted head pipe for my 2014 Dyna Wide Glide. Installed it and I cut the stock baffles to 6" long which got rid of that plug going down the center of it, then re-installed the baffles. I installed the FL ViED 10 for fuel management adjustment.
After everything installed I have Backfire on Decel "All The Time". I adjusted the FL ViED 10 to all the different settings... nothing changed. I pulled the pipe, put new head pipe gaskets in... still no change. I read on here that my problem is probably head pipe leaking at the Head connection BUT, no, not on mine, there is no leak there. I do not want to spend any more $$ on more expensive fuel management systems. I am using the Stock Air Filter but, I have cut off all the backing plate that is not needed and reinstalled That. I put a Air Cleaner Cover on it from a bagger that has the Ram Air Opening in the front of it so now the Fuel Injection is getting a lot more air than stock.
Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I can do with What I Have to get rid of the Backfire on Deceleration? I don't want to damage the valves with cold air on decal.
I currently have re installed the stock head pipe. I am wondering if getting a Free Flowing K&N Air Filter might be the answer?
Thanks!!
Is the bike popping or backfiring ?????
How much riding have you done since the said work has been completed ????
The FL-Vied - 10 should be set at 75% per Nightrider............
If you have not ridden the bike a lot, you need to give the stock ECM some time to make adjustment's to the changes you made............
But also remember the stock ECM has the fuel cut set to a certain point to work with the stock components, that may not work with the cut off baffles.
Before I did all of the mod's that are on my bike now, I had a Screamin Eagle Stage 1 air intake, Fl-Xied-10's and freedom mufflers which are pretty much a straight through design with stock catted head pipes and I had a lot of popping on hard deceleration and considerably less on mild deceleration........But the engine was not running lean.
So not sure where you are at with ride time, and popping or back firing ????
Feed us some more info ............

Live Free = Ride Free............

Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

If what you're getting is a backfire, not decel popping, first look for an intake leak where the flanges are bolted to the intake ports. It sounds like you checked for exhaust leaks, so you should be good there.
With the motor warmed up, spray some throttle body cleaner at each flange, one at a time. Do it from the right side of the bike and take care not to spray into the air cleaner. If the idle changes when you do this you have an intake leak. Since it's under warranty the dealer should fix the intake leak.
As long as you have the stock air filter, I don't think modding it will give you much more air flow, at least not enough to make much difference. Before you go changing any more part you need to make sure you don't have any mechanical issues such as leaks or loose fittings.
If what you have is decel pop, don't worry, it won't hurt anything.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
riderboy1961
Tourer

Gotcha;
Decel popping wont hurt anything... I did not know if Decel popping is cold air getting sucked into the valve area through the Head Exhaust Ports or not.
What exactly is the Difference between Decel Popping and Decel Backfiring or is there any such difference? Would they sound different? What do each one sound like? Thanks for the feedback so far!! I really want to run the bike with the de-catted head pipe but, not if I am sucking cool are into the valve area on Decel
I really need the bike to be louder than stock as I have had a number of Cagers come over into my lane almost hitting me cause they cant see me and don't know I am near them cause the bike is so Quiet.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:11 PM
riderboy1961
Tourer

Originally Posted by californiafatbob2013
Is the bike popping or backfiring ?????
How much riding have you done since the said work has been completed ????
The FL-Vied - 10 should be set at 75% per Nightrider............
If you have not ridden the bike a lot, you need to give the stock ECM some time to make adjustment's to the changes you made............
But also remember the stock ECM has the fuel cut set to a certain point to work with the stock components, that may not work with the cut off baffles.
Before I did all of the mod's that are on my bike now, I had a Screamin Eagle Stage 1 air intake, Fl-Xied-10's and freedom mufflers which are pretty much a straight through design with stock catted head pipes and I had a lot of popping on hard deceleration and considerably less on mild deceleration........But the engine was not running lean.
So not sure where you are at with ride time, and popping or back firing ????
Feed us some more info ............

Live Free = Ride Free............

californiafatbob2013 ;
I am curious why you installed a: Vibratechnic's front motor mount? Was it to smooth out the Vibration?

Old 05-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Don't worry about cold air on the valves. You can run an engine with no exhaust at all, and the valves will be fine.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:35 PM
fullswedge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 2013 super glide, is the cat in the head pipe or muffler? I was at my indy today and asked him, he didn't think it had a cat at all! Huh! I'm looking to put slip on mufflers and k and n air filter to get er to breath a little better.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:45 PM
beagle01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the popping is from a lack of back pressure when backing off. Try a temp baffle in it to see if it goes.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Decel pop is also caused by unburnt gas in the exhaust that gets ignited in the mufflers which have gotten too hot from running lean. Don't worry about your valves.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

loud pipes that can make people more aware that your there but it sounds like you need to learn to ride more defensively like dont stay in peoples blind spots and anticipate that they probly will do what you least expect. as far as decell popping, spend the money and get a real tunner and most people will always have some decell poping when modifying their exhaust. as long as it doesnt sound like the mufflers are going to explode off the bike your probly fine but getting a real tunner will help more than the one you have now.

Quick Reply: Help - Backfire on Decel W/ De-Catted Head Pipe