Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 wide glide cracked rear fender

Old 05-22-2014, 01:30 AM
kwcommando
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 wide glide cracked rear fender

Just wondering if anyone else out there has or had this problem. I have a 2012 wide glide with stage 1 (short shots, heavy breather) and have noticed lately that when slowing or downshifting my license plate vibrates and makes such a noise. Well I have tightened it twice now figuring that it was somehow loose. My buddy takes a closer look and sees that my rear fender is cracked on both sides of the tail light. You can just barely see it as the clearcoat is lifted. Took her in to the shop and the mechanic comes out to look. He didn't stay for more than 2 sec and goes inside to fill out the required docs to order a new one. Luckily my warranty ends this July but he said would take 1 to 2 months for a replacement. Crap. I said Im gonna drive it anyway (I have limited drive season)no answer. WTF

Old 05-22-2014, 09:59 AM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

Mine cracked in the same place three times on my Street Bob. Replaced twice under warranty and they replaced it for free after the warranty ran out. Take those train tracks slow, I think that's what caused my last one. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:41 PM
DRAGIN
Advanced

My street Bob is cracked too. I was told it's due to the center brake light design on mine. Not sure if you have that too. They're replacing mine with one that has no brake light. I'm either going to supply them with a side mount frame/light combo or their going to wire up my turns to brake as well and change lenses to red. I'm out of warranty but they're getting it covered. Can't wait for the new style rear fender.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe it's because the fenders are paper thin! These fenders must weigh half that of an old FXR fender. The bean-counters never stop looking for ways to skin the copper off a penny.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 PM
kwcommando
Intermediate

I think what I might do is put a piece of metal (stainless) across the width behind where the tail light attaches and use longer screws. This may reduce the vibration. It does look rather thin. Poor design also

Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by bl_dg
Maybe it's because the fenders are paper thin! These fenders must weigh half that of an old FXR fender. The bean-counters never stop looking for ways to skin the copper off a penny.
This ^^^ I just tossed mine.Well,more or less. Just take a look at the Kia's and Hundaze if it weren't for the creases formed into em they'd dent with a wash mitt.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Huckster
Advanced

Don't have any cracks on rear fender yet. Just took in my 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom for cracks on both sides of FRONT fender. Dealership said my Two year warranty will cover it. Got 1,500 miles on it! What kind oF JUNK is Harley selling!? Bike sounds like junk when in second gear now. Hope they get new one on fast. And lasts a lot longer. Would like to know why it did this? Maybe needs some rubber spacers or something.

Last edited by Huckster; 05-30-2014 at 10:13 PM.