Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani 1D12R Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Molsondrinkr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bassani 1D12R Install

Hi, I finally bought an exhaust. I went the Bassani megaphone 1D12R. Looked hard at the Crossbacks but just couldn't justify the price up here on them.

So maybe a dumb question but I am at work and can't check the box. Would it contain gaskets for the install? I called the dealer and the parts guy says it probably should. I didn't order through them. I'm not so sure though.

If I do need to buy gaskets, what do I need? The bike has only a hair over 500km (310miles). Could I re use the existing?

It's going on a 2013 Wideglide.
Thanks

Old 05-22-2014, 01:45 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Molsondrinkr
Hi, I finally bought an exhaust. I went the Bassani megaphone 1D12R. Looked hard at the Crossbacks but just couldn't justify the price up here on them.

So maybe a dumb question but I am at work and can't check the box. Would it contain gaskets for the install? I called the dealer and the parts guy says it probably should. I didn't order through them. I'm not so sure though.

If I do need to buy gaskets, what do I need? The bike has only a hair over 500km (310miles). Could I re use the existing?

It's going on a 2013 Wideglide.
Thanks
I had about 500 miles on my WG when I installed my new pipes. I reused my old gaskets as they looked fine. I will however be upgrading them to some SE gaskets or something better soon as I am **** about reusing gaskets. My exhaust did not come with them when I bought it but I didnt buy the highest end exhaust either.

Short answer.. You should be fine even if you reuse your old ones. Just make sure you are tight and have no leaks.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:50 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty sure mine didn't come with gaskets

Old 05-22-2014, 02:16 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do not use the screamin eagle gaskets. they never seal or fit right. the factory exhaust gaskets work just fine

Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Irish883
Road Captain

I would be amazed if they came with gaskets. If you do need them, your local dealer more than likely has them in stock and the pair is going to cost around $15, not a big deal. At just a hair over 300 miles on the bike I doubt you will need them, however. Yes, it is a good idea to replace gaskets when swapping exhaust, but at that kind of mileage I'd be hard pressed to believe you have damage to them, or their crushed to a point of leakage.

Regarding SE gaskets and normal... Don't buy SE gaskets just because they are SE. The SE gaskets are FLAT style and if you don't have flat style pipes, they won't seal right. The stock gaskets are tapered and if you have tapered exhaust you need these; my Bassani are tapered, but I'm not sure if that is the case for all of the pipes they make.

If you do get new gaskets please keep in mind they are a pain in the *** to put in right without damaging them unless you have the proper tool. You can forgo the proper tool by using the right sized bearing press, but if you don't have that, you have to take your sweet *** time with them because they crush easily. My advice is to freeze them in your freezer for several hours before installing them since it makes it easier to push them in without crushing them. Some sort of flat tool and work it around gently.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Molsondrinkr
Novice

Thanks for the tips. Definitely no gaskets. For the cost I would like to just put new ones in. I noticed in the install instructions, it states to use pre '08 gaskets. Sorry for the newb question, but what is the difference?

Old 05-23-2014, 10:43 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Gaskets are around $6.00 and are easy to change so I did when I changed pipes.
Just my .02 worth

Old 05-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Molsondrinkr
Novice

Well I got it installed on the weekend. Went fairly good. The gaskets are a bitch though. But I think I got it. torqued to proper spec and will re-torque again in a hundred km or so. I took it for a spin, way loud to me. Especially compared to stock. But at least it doesn't sound like my Polaris RZR anymore lol.
I will let it get broke in, but I may consider a quieter baffle down the road.

The other thing I noticed was decel pops. Not really a backfire but "pops" Did some reading today and it seems this is normal. I have the micro tune from fuel moto with the correct map. I am wondering tho if there can be to many pops? Coming from stock I never noticed any, and certainly nothing like it is now. Is this something that I should be concerned with? I'm fairly confident the head pipes aren't leaking, I will confirm this week with some throttle body cleaner. I am not really a big fan of the popping, or at least as much as there is there now. Hoping I can at least figure out how to take it down a level for pops.

And here is a pic.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 PM
vindex1963
Cruiser

Do you have a power commander on it? I suppose you do with the Fuelmoto set up. Open up the map and add +5 to +10 to all "0" zero position throttle cells except 1250 rpm and less and I bet the pops will be gone or greatly reduced.

Oh yea one more thing --get it tuned--.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Bassani exhaust are real picky when tuning. It needsva new map. If you got the PC from fuelmoto I would call or send a request for a new map. Included the new pipes.
Once you getbem right you will enjoy them. They do carry a quiet baffle

Quick Reply: Bassani 1D12R Install