Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it built in character or bad engineering

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:52 PM
beagle01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it built in character or bad engineering

Hi, I don't want to start a lengthy debate over old news, but I have tried everything to eliminate the vibes in the 28/33 range on my 2012 96" FXDC. Shimmed and shaved the front mount, tried different intakes and ieds etc, but it still persists. I getting tired of being told that's normal when many other bikes don't vibrate. Once warm, it's as smooth as everywhere, except that rev range especially in 5 and 6. In the lower gears it isn't as noticeable. Before I look at one of these new front mounts, is there anything else I could look at. The bike has a stock exhaust setup with the mufflers opened up a bit, Vieds and S&S intake. I've had 9 HD's over the past 20 yrs, mostly FLH's, so I'm not new to the game, but this has me rooted. Any guidance is appreciated. The child bride simply refuses to get on it... which in it's own way is a good thing ...LOL...

Old 05-23-2014, 12:31 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried loosening the bolts holding the exhaust to the mounting bracket. I think this is suggested in HD's service bulletin.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Massive
Advanced

Been chasing the same thing as you, ordered a new Vibra Technics front mount and will let you know how that goes for me. Should be here any day now.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:42 AM
beagle01
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Massive
Been chasing the same thing as you, ordered a new Vibra Technics front mount and will let you know how that goes for me. Should be here any day now.

That'd be great...over here, most just put up with it...but I'm old and cranky...LOL...

Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 AM
beagle01
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 4_stroke
Have you tried loosening the bolts holding the exhaust to the mounting bracket. I think this is suggested in HD's service bulletin.
That was for the FLD model with the cannon hanging off the side, but I'll give it a go. Not gonna cost anything but time and a beer for the helper.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:45 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beagle01
That was for the FLD model with the cannon hanging off the side, but I'll give it a go. Not gonna cost anything but time and a beer for the helper.
While you are in that area check the bolts that hold the exhaust mounting frame to the motor. These have been know to pull threads or break bolts.

Did shaving the mount help at all, even for a short time?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

What is the compression difference between the cylinders with the motor cold and then warm? Be sure to hold throttle wide open and crank same amount of turns when checking it. Bleed down test is probably more accurate but Harley does not list a tolerance range. Guess you need to do both. Has the alternator rotor been replaced behind the compensator? You could have a mechanical problem and for some reason, Harley does not balance replacement rotors. Also, could be a bad map on the injectors or an injector. My Softail has different balance frequencies up thru the RPM range I can fill. For me, I almost think its fuel since it appears to me to be pressure waves in the exhaust. My bike is stock with restricted stock exhaust.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-23-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:54 AM
beagle01
Cruiser

Originally Posted by beagle01
I sat on the bike and slowly raised the revs until the vibes kicked in around 28 and through it until smooth again around 34. To cut the story short, the bolts holding the strap that fits between the hanger on the frame mount to the underside of the front muffler could be the culprit. After going thru every point in the exhaust system and repeating the sequence of revving it up to around 4K, the backing off the bolts clamping it to the front muffler eliminated a lot of it. I've locktited the nuts without being super tight , but not loose either and will take it for a good spin tomorrow morning. If this fixes it, I'll be a very happy boy. It's dam hard to type with burnt fingers from the headers after this exercise...LOL...

Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 736 Posts

When I still had EFI, my 07 SB vibrated so bad my right foot would slide off the peg at 70 mph. Shimmed the front motor mount and it helped. Trashed the EFI and went with a CV 40. All of the awesome Harley LOW END TORQUE jumped out. With the increase of power came less vibration, cooler running temps and a Harley that sounds like a Harley at idle ... no a sewing machine on steroids. The point is, it's an EFI Harley and in that state, it's going to vibrate at some point. Just gotta decide what do you want to live with and how much $$$ do you want to spend to "cure" it.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 AM
beagle01
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 4_stroke
While you are in that area check the bolts that hold the exhaust mounting frame to the motor. These have been know to pull threads or break bolts.

Did shaving the mount help at all, even for a short time?
I ended up placing a 5mm spacer between the mount and the frame and shaved a bit of the top rubber before fitting it. It's very smooth from idle up to red line, outside of the 28/33 range where it's a bit intrusive. It goes in for a 16KM service shortly and I'll get them to redo all the exhaust mounts as well, before it's out of warranty. The vibes come in at highwway speed limits in 5th and it lugs a bit in 6th at the 100KPM (62mph)so I have ride either under or well above the limits. HD aren't interested in paying the speeding fines either, so I can enjoy what the bike has to offer.