Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Dyna Lowrider Engine Cutting Out While Riding?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 AM
1Deadman
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dyna Lowrider Engine Cutting Out While Riding?

Hello All...

This is my first time posting to this forum and I'm having an issue I'm hoping to get some experienced help with.

I ride a basically stock 2001 Dyna Lowrider (carbureted) with the exception of slip-on pipes and cosmetic upgrades (11,000 miles).

In the last month or two while riding at various speeds, the engine will cut-off as if the kill switch was hit, no sputtering, no warning. All other electric is on and there is no check engine light or codes recorded. When you hit the start button the engine will crank but not start. However, as soon as I cycle the ignition switch off then on, the bike will restart as if nothing ever happened and run fine until it happens again, sometimes 10 minutes later, sometimes not for days.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the TSSM with a regular TSM (only because I told them I didn't care about having the security system) to verify whether the problem was related to the Bank Angle Sensor but unfortunately that did not fix the problem. As I said there are no error codes recorded so it seems the mechanic is using the process of elimination method as this is an intermittent failure and there being no codes is not giving him much to to go on.

All obvious connections to the battery, ground, harnesses etc. appear to be solid and clean.

I like an adrenaline rush like the next guy but the engine cutting out at 70 mph in highway traffic isn't the way I want to go out.

If anyone has any experience with this or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a sporty that had a bad ignition switch, It would cut out and I would have to play with the key to get it going again, replaced the switch and all was good,

Old 05-23-2014, 10:47 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, had nearly the same thing happen on a carbed '04 Dyna. It was the ign switch.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM
1Deadman
Stage IV

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I'm taking the bike back to the dealer in the morning for round two of "guess what part is broken".

The good news is the service manager hasn't charged me a dime yet ("yet" being the key word). He swapped in the TSM and sent me on my way...he said he wasn't comfortable charging me until he nailed down the true cause. Pretty cool I thought.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

That year of bike (age), another fix maybe the crankshaft position sensor located on the front of the engine, it magnetically "looks" for the notches on the flywheel to initiate the plug firing circuit. Easy fix if this is the problem, don't know of any electrical values that can be read out or tested. The loose ignition switch sounds valid and one more to consider would be dirty contacts on the RUN/STOP switch next to the throttle. You've got a good dealer there not charging for diagnostic time, what's the name of the shop?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM
1Deadman
Stage IV

Thanks Senior! I will definitely add your suggestions to my list of things to check.

The Dealer I go to is Stan's Harley in Batavia, NY. The folks out there seem to be awesome all the way around...sales, service, parts, etc. I have another dealership much closer to me but they're just not the same so it's worth the extra miles.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
That year of bike (age), another fix maybe the crankshaft position sensor located on the front of the engine, it magnetically "looks" for the notches on the flywheel to initiate the plug firing circuit. Easy fix if this is the problem, don't know of any electrical values that can be read out or tested. The loose ignition switch sounds valid and one more to consider would be dirty contacts on the RUN/STOP switch next to the throttle. You've got a good dealer there not charging for diagnostic time, what's the name of the shop?
doesn't sound like a typical crank sensor problem but would be interesting if that's what it turns out to be

...subscribed

Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM
1Deadman
Stage IV

Well, the mechanic installed a new ignition module on Saturday and so far so good. It's probably too early to start celebrating as I have only had a chance to put about 75 miles on the bike since then...time will tell.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 AM
cocoinc
Stage I
Default Cutout issue

I know this is an old thread but I have the same issue, 2001 Dyna. Riding along cuts out, if I turn swith off and back on, it backfires once then keeps on ticking, might do 4 or 5 times, then not again all day. Did the switch do the trick? Thx

Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue. Bike would just die with no warning and never knew how long before it would start again. I changed the crank position sensor and haven't had that problem since. It's also one of the cheaper and easier fixes.