Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing gears without clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Killer Bee19
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing gears without clutch

Is this some thing that should be able to be done with our bikes? recently installed a new clutch cable just noticed that I can Change gears without clutch. wondering if I did something wrong.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can change gears on just about anything without the clutch but there really isn't any point to it. One mistake and you could really mess things up...not worth the risk for me

Old 05-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Tomh1962
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's really all about timing... timing your foot movement with the engine RPM's... if they're too high, it'll learch on ya... if too low, it'll nosedive (or lockup the rear wheel)... neither is very "safe".

Truckers rarely use a clutch... except to stop and start... I won't condemn it, or condone it... it's your bike, and your life... my suggestion would be to use the clutch on the bike...

Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomh1962
I made no mention of a physical location... but of a disposition... LOL... this is my "morning" right now...
You must be working a double-graveyard shift if it's morning in Oklahoma now!

Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killer Bee19
Is this some thing that should be able to be done with our bikes? recently installed a new clutch cable just noticed that I can Change gears without clutch. wondering if I did something wrong.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:17 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can change gears without the use of the clutch but I would not make a habit of it.
Not necessarily a good thing.
Broke clutch cable, what else can you do.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:21 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can change gears with out a clutch but there really is no reason too. I enjoy shifting and your bike will like it when you use a clutch

Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You can shift prettt much anything without clutch. Us truck drivers call it floating the gears. However comparing a rig to a bike is comparing apples to rocks. A rig with 18 gears to go thru can wear the leg out. We time the rpm to where the gear will float right in. If the miss the sweet spot you will be grinding gears. Downshift we rev engine to a certian rpm and slide the gear in. Again if you will u will get nothing but grrrrrrrrindddd

But on a bike i see no reason to not use the clutxh other than lazyness. Its just to easy

Old 05-24-2014, 11:00 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I would think that you might F things up by riding regular and not clutching while shifting.....probably bend a fork.

I have taken my bike to the track and got best results by having my throttle wide open and pulling in my clutch 1/2-3/4 in and shifting (while still being wide open). This was on my 96", I would never not use my clutch dhole cruising.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If the speed and rpm match, you could. Most likely you will damage synchronizers in a long run. I wouldn't recommend.

Quick Reply: changing gears without clutch