Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:19 AM
ajmilberg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best bang for the buck

So I'm wanting to get a bit more muscle out of my 06' street bob (88"), currently running bassani road rage, stage 1 a/c, and about to toss my fulepak and go with the PCV, but I'd like a bit more *****. I'll have about $1,000 to spend, what's left in the budget to get a bit more power? Love to do cams and eventually 98", but pretty sure both will be over a grand....any suggestions?

Old 05-25-2014, 02:03 AM
bad93snake
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30T pulley

Old 05-25-2014, 03:39 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cams are really your best bet. You might be able to do that for $1K, not sure of US prices. Of course, if you do it yourself...

Your stage-1 will have got you 10% (7-8HP) and the right cams can get you the same. After that its diminishing returns for more money.

You'll get two benefits of cams: An increase in power across the piece, plus the chance to put the power where its suits you; maybe you want it down low, mid-range or to have more top-end.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree, cams. Carefully pick the right set of cams that fit your style and that maybe could use a little extra compression. When you can do the Big Bore, add the needed compression to make your cams perform even better. The cam performance will suffer a little until you do the BB but this way you will have better cams installed.

When you "think" you are done with engine work, a dyno tune will be icing on the cake.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 PM
ajmilberg
Tourer

Good thing is the shop I'm getting the PCV installed and tuned from, they do free update tunes, so when I get cams, big bore, ect, they'll tune it for free. So for cams, I ride like a bat out of hell 99% of the time, from launch to redline, so something that pulls from 2000-6000rpm's would be ideal, something that would preform well on stock 88" compression but also scream when I bump up to 95 or 98".....any suggestions?

Old 05-25-2014, 01:01 PM
screemnjay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cams, Ports (good Cyl Head work), Tune.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:19 PM
el_chupo_
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be worth your time/money to save a bit longer, since you know you want more power and a big bore.

I dont know where you are or if you want to ride to their location, but Fuel Moto will do a 98" kit in the bike, installed and with tune, for about $3k ($2595 + tuner). I dont know what you are about to spend on a PV + tune at your local shop, but it seems like with your tuner, dyno tune, and $1k extra you have to spend, you will be more than half way there already. Ride it for one more season as it is, and then get it all done at once.

Or you can order the big bore kit from them for pretty close to what you are about to spend, and then sit on the install until you have the cash for the tuner + tune locally.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmilberg
Good thing is the shop I'm getting the PCV installed and tuned from, they do free update tunes, so when I get cams, big bore, ect, they'll tune it for free. So for cams, I ride like a bat out of hell 99% of the time, from launch to redline, so something that pulls from 2000-6000rpm's would be ideal, something that would preform well on stock 88" compression but also scream when I bump up to 95 or 98".....any suggestions?
When you say free update tunes, surely you mean maps and not dyno tuning?

Cams to consider: S&S 570, Woods 555, Red Shift 557, and Andrews 54.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 PM
ajmilberg
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
When you say free update tunes, surely you mean maps and not dyno tuning?

Cams to consider: S&S 570, Woods 555, Red Shift 557, and Andrews 54.
Free maps he has from previous work, if I do cams though I'll take the trip to get it tuned on a dyno

Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cams are my vote as well. i put woods 222's in my 103 and they made a very nice change. they pull nice and hard in the low to midrange area, but run out quite nice in the uppers. i actually stay in 4th gear now quite often and typically shift to 5th at highway speeds...and 6th rarely gets used unless freeway riding for an extended period. the original cams just seemed like they were straining in the upper rpm's, whereas now it sounds and feels like there is tons of power still in the throttle. cams are not a super difficult job either, and there are many utube video's and fuel moto has videos you can stream that show the entire process. do it yourself and save a ton of money for future upgrades. make sure to do some research on cam choice, or call FM to get some recommendations based on what you plan to do to the engine. you don't want to have to pay for cams twice because you didn't do your homework.

Quick Reply: Best bang for the buck