Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode home with no filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:08 PM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

after installing my apes yesterday I wanted to test it out on a long trip so on our 150 mile trip today, about 20 miles in to the ride, I look down and see my DK intake cover was coming off!! I was on the fwy goin 70mph so I did the best I could and tried to catch it wih my leg, but I was too late.. Out goes the clear cover luckily I was quick enough to save the filter ...pulled over to the very first exit gathered myself and just had to let the group go ahead without me while I rode home without the filter. I guess when we were adjustin throttle yesterday we had forgotten to put enough loctite on the screw causing it to fall off while riding, rode 25 miles on the freeway without a cover and as soon as I got home,slapped on the other cover and make sure I loctite the damn screw! Sorry for the rant but just had to vent! Here are pics of the new cover ...

Attached Thumbnails Rode home with no filter-image-4050825273.jpg   Rode home with no filter-image-2723983270.jpg  

Last edited by kreeess; 05-25-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

The clear cover that came off... SMH

I really hope that ride back home without a filter didn't mess up the motor

Attached Thumbnails Rode home with no filter-image-3939058446.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,178 Likes on 11,108 Posts

Good thing you didn't suck the screw into the intake. Recent thread about that disaster.
A short ride without an air filter won't hurt anything.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your motor should be fine

Old 05-25-2014, 06:03 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by upflying
Good thing you didn't suck the screw into the intake. Recent thread about that disaster. A short ride without an air filter won't hurt anything.
That's actually the first thing that went through my head, screws and the rubber washers that was included with the cover... I'm guessing nothing went in since my bike is still running lol... I'm just thankful nothing bad happened and that I caught it at the right time... Hwy4 has lots of bugs so on the way home to Hercules I actually placed my leg to kin of cover the TB lol I guess it worked

Old 05-25-2014, 09:03 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Upflying, do u know the link for the thread u speak of? I would like to read what happened

Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeess
Upflying, do u know the link for the thread u speak of? I would like to read what happened

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...gine-work.html

Caution, gruesome images inside.... Make sure those bolts are all loctited and torqued to spec!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say u fastened a piece of fabric (like a tee shirt) were the cover would be to prevent **** from gettin sucked into the motor.. could that work?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:59 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

OMG how scary!! How would I know if anything went inside my TB?? It should be pretty obvious right ??if there was something that came in to my motor? I don't wanna freak out but I just want to be sure my bike is ok... It's only literally few month old!!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PRODUCTofNJ
Say u fastened a piece of fabric (like a tee shirt) were the cover would be to prevent **** from gettin sucked into the motor.. could that work?
I actually thought of doing that just to get home but was scared that my shirt just might get sucked in and cause a BIGGER issue...

I got home in one piece after 20 miles after cover falling off... Haven't rode the bike after mounting and loctiting the extra cover but I hope it's all ok...

Quick Reply: Rode home with no filter