Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake loosing pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 PM
JDavis187
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake loosing pressure

OK im at a loos and thinking its my caliper that's causing my issue but i thought i would reach out and see what the forum thought....

I installed a 99 style wide-glide front end to my low rider, i also had to install a different brake since the 04 wouldn't fit.

I got the brake installed and all was right in the world for about a day or two. I have no pressure in the front brake, the handle goes right to the grip. Ok so i thought maybe i didn't get it bled right so i went back and redid that and still no pressure. I can pump it while riding if i need to stop but as soon as i let off the brake it loses all pressure.

Im not seeing any fluid leaking from the brake, so i decided to rebuild the master cylinder. Same issues....i installed the speed bleeders and tried to re-bleed then brakes, no air bubbles but same symptoms. ive reached out to the guy i got the brake from (ebay) but i have a feeling i just might have learned at 170.00 lesson. Im at a loss where to go at this point. Any thoughts?

Old 05-26-2014, 06:52 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you try using a cable tie or bungee to hold the lever in the pulled position and leave it overnight? Worth a shot, it worked for me when I replaced my front caliper.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/frame...de-simple.html

Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

If you pump it up while not riding do you still have a good lever after a while or does it go soft right away?

If you still have a good lever without riding then I would take a look at the brake rotor. It could be warped. Doesn't take much to push the pucks back in and give you a soft lever.

If it goes soft right away but you still do get a good lever then I would check the lines. They made need replacing.

Air can also hide in the banjo bolts. When doing brakes I will bleed through those as well as all the usual suspects just to be sure.

It is also entirely possible the flaw is in the caliper. We have had problems on our dirtbikes with the single piston calipers up front. The fingers on the back side that the brake pad rests against were wearing in an uneven manner. This caused the brake pad to come into contact at a slight angle. We could pump up the system fine but when it came time to stopping it would take a few pumps to get some braking.

It would suck that you could be out 170 but look at it as an opportunity. If I had to replace the caliper I would look into upgrading to a brembo or beringer.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have air trapped, get a reverse bleeder kit. I use a large 2 ounce syringe and some tubing.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
_LostSoul_
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Zip tie overnight