Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are softails bigger than dynas

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:11 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are softails bigger than dynas

I pulled my 02 wide glide up and parked next to a heritage softail today. Got off and smoked a cig while i examied and compared. I thought the softail was a bigger bike but i just dont see it. I see a bigger fender on front and rear but thats just cosmetics. My WG appeared to be just as long ad the softail. Guy told me if i was gonna 2 up alot a heritage is better. But after looking i just dont see any more room its just cosmetic things that make the heritage look more massive due to the bells and whistles bolted on it. Or maybe i need to get my eyes checked. I feel adding bags windsheild and a touring seat i would have everything a heritage has in regard to 2 up comfort. 2 different looks but room for the passenger and driver lools the same

Old 05-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't understand why it matters dude. My buddy has a switchback and I'm sure it's just as comfy and roomy as my tails.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your WG wheelbase is longer by 3"; the Heritage is heavier by 100 pounds. The Softail has solid motor mounts versus your rubber. ( SB and Superglide have a wheelbase that is .2 inches shorter than a Heritage).

Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the frame on a softail is slightly bigger. Your wide glide has slightly longer forks which add length but not necessarily room/comfort for the passenger/s. Also a heritage has bags and a windshield which people consider helpful on longer rides or for 2 people. The only thing that could be an issue in the comfot department is that skinny front tire on your wg but If your cool with it your bike is totally capable. I know people rackin up serious miles on sportsters.. comfort is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Tomh1962
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now, from what I'm to gather, the softails aren't so much a "bigger" bike, as they have more or less the same motor, but a different build platform... Dyna's having the shocks on the outside of the swing-arm, and the softail having them tucked up underneath... (this is in a nutshell, I realized that there is more to it than that)

The softails has the antivibraion stuff in the engine where the Dyna's do not...

obviously, there are other differences without getting overly into the nit-picking the difference... they're both nice bike platforms...

Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have toured on both softail and a dyna and i would say the softail is better for luggage and passenger. The dyna is more nimble and is great to throw around the turns but is a gets bogged down when fully weighted loaded up with luggage. Also the stock pillion seat is no good for distances. I always think of tha dyna as an ideal solo bike.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:43 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea i know all the differences between them. I was only asking about comparible size between them. Dont want a dyna vrs softie thing started. Just wondered what the measurable lenth difference was.

Why does it matter? Ok well the reason i ask is my old lady made the comment we shoulda bought a bigger bike. I tried to explain the heritage next to us wasnt nessisarily bigger it was just fatter....kinda like her LOL

Old 05-26-2014, 06:16 AM
4_stroke
Tourer

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
Yea i know all the differences between them. I was only asking about comparible size between them. Dont want a dyna vrs softie thing started. Just wondered what the measurable lenth difference was.

Why does it matter? Ok well the reason i ask is my old lady made the comment we shoulda bought a bigger bike. I tried to explain the heritage next to us wasnt nessisarily bigger it was just fatter....kinda like her LOL
Tylical, a woman worrying about length. Sizewise a softail is a lot heavier. Length depends on the rake and fork length which varies a lot depending on the bike model.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

HER "Honey, does our bike make my *** look fat?"

YOU "No...it's the fat that makes your *** look fat and I'm not buying a Softail!"

Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as stated before, the rake on your WG can make it look longer than it is as well. i've had both softie and dyna, and i prefer the dyna for all around riding. but that's just me. 2 up wise, they don't feel too much different other than the dyna seems better balanced. to the person that says the dyna's get bogged down, not sure where you are coming from there....if anything, i think the dyna's do a bit better because they are naturally a lighter bike with the same size engine and no dampening. i think the only way your wife will feel she's on a "bigger" bike would be if you bought a SG or higher.

Quick Reply: Are softails bigger than dynas