Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike cuts out when cold, runs fine when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bike cuts out when cold, runs fine when warmed up

Rode a couple hundred miles yesterday, and noticed bike would cut out after sitting a while, but once warmed up, it ran fine. I ran the tank low and filled up with fresh gas, just in case it might have had some water. Its a 2012 FXDWG. Any ideas?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Not getting a lot of help, the bike seems too new for this bs, the only thing that gets my attention is the Cobra tuner(which I know very little about), maybe give them a ring and see if they can help you adjust?

Last edited by HD Pilot; 05-26-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM
MrPappagiorgio
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Cobra FI 2000 and it does the same thing. Here is why. The tuner has no way of knowing what the engine temp is. When the engine is cold it has a hard time burning the fuel. Same as cars do. If the engine has a misfire due to unburnt fuel the amount of oxygen in the exhaust will be higher than if it burned clean. The tuner will think this is a lean condition and add more fuel. More fuel only makes the problem worse. That's why it will do it most during acceleration. The Cobra tunner is designed to add more fuel during acceleration. The factory softwear can compensate for this issue but the Cobra cannot. Remove the tunner and the problem will go away or just get used to it and let the engine warm up more before you get on it.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

i have a similar problem with mine, and i have the power vision. i keep fiddling with the settings to fix it, but haven't gotten it quite dialed in yet. basically, when it is warming up it will start coughing and try to stall between about 60-95 degrees. all i have to do is feather the throttle and it will keep it from doing this, and once it gets around 100 it idles just fine. i was told by FM to decrease the warmup enrichment by 15-20%, but that seemed to make things worse. i have yet to call them back, because lately i have been riding weekends only due to family obligations, and of course they are closed then. lol. anyway, i went back to original settings and increased about 10% across the board and it seemed to get better. i was going to go in and fine tune between 60-90 but other than the initial startup, she runs fine. every fireup after is no issue unless i sit in the bar too long. :P

Old 05-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies, I got called in to work, so haven't had a chance to get back. Anyway, the bike has around 8k on it and the Cobra has been on for over a year, and 4k miles. I did get caught in a downpour a couple weeks ago, but any moisture should have been gone by now.

Update, starting checking the wires and connecters, just to see if there was and moisture, and spray them with wire dry. I did find where 2 wires had been rubbing against the valve covers and best I can see, has rubbed thru the insulation and exposed the wires. I moved the plug and started the bike up, now it doesn't want to start and back fires. Plus the rear header pipe turns bright red, where as the front pipe doesn't.

Last edited by Chase1961; 05-26-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:57 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If this started after the downpour then I'd take off the seat and fuel tank, take every plug/socket apart one at a time and get some WD40 in there. Don't forget to WD40 inside the handlebar switches.

I'd also remove your tuner and see if the bike runs OK after. Some people have had a bad time with the Cobra units, having it replaced 3 or 4 times before binning it and getting a proper tuner.

You have checked if the bike is throwing codes?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Chase1961
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Foxster
If this started after the downpour then I'd take off the seat and fuel tank, take every plug/socket apart one at a time and get some WD40 in there. Don't forget to WD40 inside the handlebar switches.

I'd also remove your tuner and see if the bike runs OK after. Some people have had a bad time with the Cobra units, having it replaced 3 or 4 times before binning it and getting a proper tuner.

You have checked if the bike is throwing codes?
Checked codes. Showing a front O2 sensor low. It has several BCM Codes.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Chase1961
Road Captain

Update, it was a wire from the injector to the tuner that had rubbed against the head, and had finally broken. Once fixed, bike runs like new. Thank you for all your replies.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master

always good to know the outcome on things like this. gives an extra idea when searching for a gremlin later down the road.