Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Repoguy: "...I'm dead and loan was charged off.. That didn't happen and I'm not dead..."

Condolences on your untimely demise, and congratulations on your subsequent resurrection!

Old 05-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,123 Likes on 3,790 Posts

The one year anniversary of this thread is quickly approaching. When I started it, I had no idea it would become a clearing house of information for this great motorcycle. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I got so much useful information from other owners. Looking forward to seeing the new 2016 colors and hearing from more LR owners.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:01 PM
borge
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Rider brakes and front end

I've been riding since 1962 and have all nearly every kind of bike, including 6 Harleys. My current bike is a 2014 Low Rider. I like the style. That's why I bought it. However, after 4,000 miles since February when I bought it I have concerns about the front end. The front end really dives on braking. And emergency braking is disastrous. It dives, then jumps and it's easy to completely lose it. The 2015 has ABS and I wish I had waited for that. However, here are some questions:

1. How much would it cost to install ABS?
2. How do you improve the front suspension? Heavier oil? Different springs? Different shocks entirely?
3. What about TCB Brake systems. These are a banjo bolt replacement that kind of simulate ABS but I don't know how well they work or how long they last.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,123 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Originally Posted by borge
I've been riding since 1962 and have all nearly every kind of bike, including 6 Harleys. My current bike is a 2014 Low Rider. I like the style. That's why I bought it. However, after 4,000 miles since February when I bought it I have concerns about the front end. The front end really dives on braking. And emergency braking is disastrous. It dives, then jumps and it's easy to completely lose it. The 2015 has ABS and I wish I had waited for that. However, here are some questions:

2. How do you improve the front suspension? Heavier oil? Different springs? Different shocks entirely?
3. What about TCB Brake systems. These are a banjo bolt replacement that kind of simulate ABS but I don't know how well they work or how long they last.Any thoughts?
Not sure on the first question. I got mine without ABS. I found the braking power on the two LR I demo'd to be plenty for me. so I ordered mine without it.

I have 170 miles on my 2015 LR and the brakes are fine. I added a Superbrace front fork brace. Provides plenty of rigidity for me.

As for the second question, I have found my factory fork to suit my needs. I do not plan on changing them.

As for the third question, I have no idea about that product.

Post some pics if you can.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

"2. How do you improve the front suspension? Heavier oil? Different springs? Different shocks entirely?"

That's one of those "how much money have you got?" questions. I replaced my standard fork springs with Progressive and for the low-low price it made a big difference to comfort, dive and control over ruts and bumps. Also added a Superbrace, which helped too. Still a HD at the end of the day though, not a Ducati!

Others with more money and/or who are pushing the handling more will often go for Ricor Intiminators or Progressive Monotubes etc...

Re ABS, it's designed for emergencies - it stops the wheel from locking up when you grab that big fistful of brake in a last-ditch attempt to avoid spearing an incompetent cage driver. It also helps riders who don't know how to brake safely in the wet from going rubber-side-up. It doesn't actually increase braking power or feel or anything useful for your daily riding.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 AM
reedyjm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3. What about TCB Brake systems. These are a banjo bolt replacement that kind of simulate ABS but I don't know how well they work or how long they last.

Any thoughts?
ABS was an option in 14, just as it is for 15. The front end is soft for me too, but I am about 225 lbs. Most companies spring their bikes for an average weight/size person. My guess is that anyone over 190 lbs is going to feel a bit of softness.

Progressive monos are a good way to fix it, or as stated above take a look at the Ricor route. Take it to a good suspension guy, and get the forks and shocks done together. It will be like a new bike.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Repoguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well guys I hate to say it but I went to the dark side .. I didn't need a new bike, but I just love the new low rider, well at the dealership I saw a 2007 road glide, just way too good of a deal to pass up!! I'm gonna miss the dynas but think the new bagger will be fun, the payment is 200 less than the new low rider would have been. Im getting ridof the 2011 wide glide, new bike will be ready to pick up on Sunday. After the extended warranty and a few little options I had them add, had to finance a little bit, figure let it build the credit for a few months then just pay it off.. But love the forum and will have a Dyna again.. Gonna keep my eye on the Fxdl for sure..

Old 05-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

It will likely be cheaper to sell what you have and buy a bike with ABS, rather then install it. Too many parts beyond just the brakes themselves. Wiring harnesses, ecm, brake servos, brake lines back to the servos, plus no one will probably do the labor on liability issues.

Regarding the front end, I put race tech springs and cartridge emulators in my 08 FXD, and am doing the same to my 15 FXDL on Friday. Huge improvement, no dive, sprung for my weight, just excellent overall. That and ohlins rear shocks will finish up my suspension...

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Mchad; 05-23-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Peej
Yeah, maybe that's part of the reason its being discounted so much as ABS doesn't seem so popular in the Dynas. The other dealer was asking me if I was sure about the quote as he said they were at cost. I also have secured parking, but for 4 beans the security isn't a deal breaker.
The reason I got security was that it allows me to shut off the bike and walk away. Don't have to reach over and put the key in to lock it.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Peej
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Woot

Just picked this Jade baby up for several hundred under MSRP OTD with a slightly used windshield thrown in for that occasional highway trek with the promo 1.99% financing. I got the ABS and security and it will be delivered tomorrow. Soon to follow this week is a detachable sissy and V&H slip on. I can't wait to get on it and ride. Today I rode the Low Rider, Fat Bob, and Fat Boy. While the Fat Bob was a blast, the Low Rider just hit more marks for me in ride and style. The Fat Boy was a smooth ride, it just felt a little too much. Let's ride!

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider