Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,150 Likes on 3,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo33
I know this topic has been beaten to death but I am ready to make my move and I am still not clear.

1) Exhaust slipon. I was told and my internet searches seem to confirm that my options are limited. The dealer recommends SE Nightstick even though he admits he has not done many to ANY bike. The modified mid controls seem to screw us up on exhaust compatibility and his usual aftermarket company, RUSH, doesn't have any choices for this bike. Modular, what is your slip on? It looks good. I mentioned to the dealer that the Nightstick is Supertrap and they make an open end cap and they said if I bought one they would install it. Does anyone here have any personal experience with the Nightstick, open or closed end cap?
I do not recall many LR owners running the SE Nightstick. The dealers always push the weak SE exhaust products. My dealer tried it with me and I straight out told them that SE exhaust products were a joke. That stopped the discussion. Are you limited, financially, to a slip-on?

If not, get a full exhaust from V&H, Bassani or Two Brothers. Go back about 20 pages and a bunch of video clips of different exhausts were posted. If I were getting a new exhaust today it would be the Two Brothers 2 into 1.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:25 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm running the SE Nightstick and have since I bought the bike. However, I did modify the end cap down to 5 disks and the open end cap.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:37 AM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone here have any personal experience with the Nightstick, open or closed end cap?
If you have not done so already, check YouTube out. There are a bunch of videos so that you can hear what the night stick sounds like with the various caps and modifications. Sound isn't always easy to capture, if you are set on going with a slip on, then it's better than nothing. Do you know what you are after? Just a better 'Harley' sound? Torque? Top end horse power? That can shape what direction you go. I like the quick ease and easy $$ of a slip on, but really if I were to do it, I'd probably bite the bullet and look into a full system. For now the stock pipes are fine for me. Again, YouTube around and listen to the differences of all the systems before you settle on the one you want.

Air intake. SE sells many open air intakes and the difference seems to be purely cosmetic not functional. Is that true. Am I safe to pick any of the SE choices?
For the most part, yes. However, again, it depends on what you are after. Opening up the airbox (and you tuning heads can correct me on this) will help with low end torque but will hurt on high end horse power (or vice versa). Point is, what do you want from your bike and will you do any further stage 2 modifications? You want to build to a goal and not simply give HD extra money that isn't warranted. Or worse, have to lose money on retreading different parts down the line. BTW You never really get your money back for add on parts at the time of sale or trade in, you are doing this for your love of the bike

The dealer recommends that after I change the exhaust and intake that they do a simple programming download.
Welcome to the Harley Davidson 'tax.' Yes, anytime you mess with the air box and pipes, they will require you to do a stage 1 ECM flash to account for the different air flow. Whether this is actually needed has been debated. American Iron magazine, I think, has concluded that it actually isn't needed and HD doesn't say what the flash actually does, IIRC. HOWEVER, you want a warranty on the bike? You get the flash, end of story. If you work with a tuning shop or a more tuning oriented dealer, they may have other options (SE street tuners, power commanders, etc) that will do that same job or better. If you really want that warranty, just be clear on what they are doing and who will stand behind it.

I wish California would give up and secede form the union. The people who live there will be missed. Their government regulators will not.
I won't derail the thread with a regulatory discussion, but clean air regulations have done wonders for California (looking at you LA) and rust belt cities, among others. To the point that I doubt any American would be willing to go back to living in the conditions when factories and cars belched out whatever they liked from their pipes. Riders who want to mod their rides haven't suffered, as far as I can tell. Now, if you want to talk ridiculous regulations (and subsidies) let's talk ethanol.......

Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,096 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Well, I'll chime in as well...my bike has a nightstick with 6 disks and the open end cap along with the SE intake and dyno tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner.

It runs great, has plenty of low and mid range torque, doesn't run hot and gets consistent 42-45 mpg.

I'm very happy with the sound and performance.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
Money can fix that

Yes it can but I would have a hard time shelling out for a brand new paint job on a brand new bike. I am still holding out hope for a 2018 LR CVO. The LR S has a lot of nice upgrades and I like the gold rims (which I am sure gives better protection than the bare rims of the LR) but I do not know if can take another black bike. 4 of them to date. I only got my black LR because that is all the dealer had comming in.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:41 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,533 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Yes it can but I would have a hard time shelling out for a brand new paint job on a brand new bike. I am still holding out hope for a 2018 LR CVO. The LR S has a lot of nice upgrades and I like the gold rims (which I am sure gives better protection than the bare rims of the LR) but I do not know if can take another black bike. 4 of them to date. I only got my black LR because that is all the dealer had comming in.
I hate the gold rims. All the gold will be gone, once my new tank emblems shoe this week

I made my bike look more like yours, than an S, now. I still like the suspension, engine, cruise, bars....just not into the bob fender, and gold.

I like the black paint, midnight blue would be my second choice.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:50 PM
Jimbo33
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Yes I am on a budget. The dealer wants $750 just to dyno the bike and pro tuner but the pro tuner is no longer available. If I go with the Nightstick, SE air cleaner and tune download I can do the whole thing for under $800. I have a passenger most of the time. the bike is between 2 and 3k RPM while driving down the road, I would like more responsiveness. Is this a valid path forward? Modular, why did you chose the number of discs you did with he Nightstick?
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:34 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Modular, why did you chose the number of discs you did with he Nightstick?
For me, that's where it ended up with the best sound and how it rode out. I had a conversation with Supertrapp as well. They make the slip on for H-D.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 AM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the info. Yes I am on a budget. The dealer wants $750 just to dyno the bike and pro tuner but the pro tuner is no longer available. If I go with the Nightstick, SE air cleaner and tune download I can do the whole thing for under $800. I have a passenger most of the time. the bike is between 2 and 3k RPM while driving down the road, I would like more responsiveness. Is this a valid path forward? Modular, why did you chose the number of discs you did with he Nightstick?
Thanks.
If you want to put an edge on an already good bike, I'd say that what you suggest is the way to go, IMHO. Just from reading forums I'd say that is the path many take at first as they figure out what direction they want to go down the line, I know I did. If you want to add a little richer fuel for very little $$, consider a set of XiEDs or ViEDs. You can install and remove them at home n about 10 min. They sit between the O2 sensor and ECM and fool the ECM into increasing the air fuel ratio when cruising. (This is basically what all the piggy back power commansders do). They are also compatible with the stage1 flash.
Enjoy the bike!

Old 08-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes I am on a budget. The dealer wants $750 just to dyno the bike and pro tuner but the pro tuner is no longer available. If I go with the Nightstick, SE air cleaner and tune download I can do the whole thing for under $800. I have a passenger most of the time. the bike is between 2 and 3k RPM while driving down the road, I would like more responsiveness. Is this a valid path forward?
Will you be satisfied with a SE AC and exhaust in the long run? If so, then go for it. But if you want that full, deep rich sound of a full Stage 1 Big Twin, shelling out a little more for the full exhaust is worth it. My Big Shots only ran something like $500-600 delivered.

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider