Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Street Bob Forward Controls. Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '14 Street Bob Forward Controls. Yay or Nay?

Picked up a '14 SB last week and after the test ride, I loved it but I was just not quite sure about the mid controls. I paid up front to get the forwards put on. Now that I've put a couple hundred miles on it, it's starting to grow on me. I have my moments though. *snicker

Now I'm dropping my bike off for new pipes tomorrow (as long as there's no damn monsoon here! Haha) and to get the controls put on.

I'm a tad under 5'10, 200 lbs and I'm starting to wonder if I still want them. Anyone about my height and size have any issues with them maybe being too far forward? Anyone get them and then prefer the mids?

Just curious. They didn't have any SB's with the forwards on them for me to see how the fit was.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forwards...............

Originally Posted by JDisME
Picked up a '14 SB last week and after the test ride, I loved it but I was just not quite sure about the mid controls. I paid up front to get the forwards put on. Now that I've put a couple hundred miles on it, it's starting to grow on me. I have my moments though. *snicker

Now I'm dropping my bike off for new pipes tomorrow (as long as there's no damn monsoon here! Haha) and to get the controls put on.

I'm a tad under 5'10, 200 lbs and I'm starting to wonder if I still want them. Anyone about my height and size have any issues with them maybe being too far forward? Anyone get them and then prefer the mids?

Just curious. They didn't have any SB's with the forwards on them for me to see how the fit was.
Do not have an SB but own a FXDF with forwards, I am 5'-11" and love the forward controls................
Do not have any problem with reach at all.....................
I would say go for it, and put them on I think you will like it better than mid's.

Live Free = Ride Free...........

Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 PM
JDisME
Tourer

Very cool and thanks for responding. I think I'll end up pulling the trigger on them. I just saw that Harley makes a reduced reach forward control conversion kit that moves it back an inch and a bit higher too. If the stock forwards are too far, I may go that route.
I'm more excited about the pipes. V&H Short Shots. Can't STAND the stock pipes!

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 PM
irensby
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 5'10" and I love the forward controls on my FXDC. Not too far a reach for a 32" inseam. Did a 714km (446 mile) round trip to find a good sandwich the other day and was comfortable the whole time. The only issue I've had is when I'm relaxed and let the ***** of my feet rest on the pegs my heels will touch tarmac before hard parts do in the twisties and that kinda freaks me out a little.

Last edited by irensby; 05-26-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 PM
JDisME
Tourer

Good to see another person who would go on a quest for a good sammich. haha

I think I only have about a 28 or 29 inch inseam. Will have to verify that.

As for the heel rub, I'm used to it from my old Honda.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:29 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Exhaust...........

Originally Posted by JDisME
Very cool and thanks for responding. I think I'll end up pulling the trigger on them. I just saw that Harley makes a reduced reach forward control conversion kit that moves it back an inch and a bit higher too. If the stock forwards are too far, I may go that route.
I'm more excited about the pipes. V&H Short Shots. Can't STAND the stock pipes!

Thanks again.
+ 1 on that !!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't sound like a Harley with those things they call exhaust !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is kind of like my Rineharts with ear muff's on.................
If I cant hear it no one else will ..................

Live Free = Ride Free.................

Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 AM
petebob
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'7" and have had fwd on my fxdb for a couple yrs now with no dramas. Took a bit of getting used to throwing the bike through the twisties with them on. It's easier to move your body weight around with the mids. Probably alot to do with my lack of leg length! A good option is highway pegs and keep the mids, or get the fwds and leave the mids in place minus brake pedal.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:21 AM
cameron.m
Cruiser

I'm 5'11 and I was very dubious about forwards on my SB13 .. really didn't know what to expect as I hadn't ridden with them before

To be honest the first 50-100 miles felt weird .. kept going for my mid points .. but after that I got used to them and it felt fine

Now i couldnt imagine riding with anything else

Sat on a new bike the other week with mids and it just felt wrong and cramped!

never going back!

Old 05-27-2014, 01:57 AM
Dyna_Syx
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say it will depend on the roads you ride. All I have around me is long straight highway. I'm 5'9" 34" inseam and love my forwards. I'll be moving back to Connecticut in a few months, and may be looking into mids as there are a lot of fun, twisty backroads in that area.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:17 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Forwards are the way to go if you want to be comfortable.
5'8" and had forwards put on since day one.
I purchased the Danny Gray big seat that keeps your *** planted and not having to pull myself forward. Style and comfort.

Quick Reply: '14 Street Bob Forward Controls. Yay or Nay?